Netconf Integration/Plugin to another System

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
makemeasandwich

Netconf Integration/Plugin to another System

Post by makemeasandwich »

Hello,

I was wondering nagios has a plugin for netconf ? So that nagios could monitor over NETCONF instead of SNMP, if the other device, System or NMS supports the NETCONF Interface?
I couldn't really find anything on the internet about it.

Thanks a lot for the help.

kind regards

makemeasandwich
tmcdonald

Re: Netconf Integration/Plugin to another System

Post by tmcdonald »

The irony here is that NETCONF was created because SNMP was used more for monitoring than configuration, and the IETF wanted a protocol specifically for device configuration. In that regard I am not surprised there are no plugins out there.

Monitoring may be possible - how would you do it from a CLI? It may not be too hard to create a rudimentary plugin in bash or perl.
Former Nagios employee
makemeasandwich

Hello,

yes thats what I what about it as well. But maybe there is a possibility ? I know some companies that have own network devices where they have a netconf interface and a monitoring system. They also monitor the device over netconf and dont use snmp for monitoring. If its good or bad is the other question.

I thought if any free open source monitoring system has a plugin or a solution for it then it would be nagios.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

I like tmcdonald see nothing out there. I suggest though looking at the existing Python library for what you're trying to do:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ncclient

If one were to try to write a plugin that would be a good place to start. I'd try to dig deeper into that library but to be honesty I don't know of any devices I have at my disposal that I could test against :o
makemeasandwich

Thanks a lot for the answers!
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

You bet, I'm going to go ahead and archive this thread - if you make a plugin that might be useful to others be sure to post it on the Exchange!!!