check_ssh OK on command line but not Core UI

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
timxjr1300

check_ssh OK on command line but not Core UI

Post by timxjr1300 »

Interesting problem, I cannot seem to resolve.
I have a Debian 7 VM running in Virtualbox which runs Nagios Core, it is also the 'local host' nrpe.
I have a second Debian 7 VM running in VMWare Player 7.1.2 which is a remote host
I have a Debian 8 VM again running in VMWare player 7.1.2 as a remote host
The windows host machine (win 7 pro) is a 'windows server'.

All is well with the exception of ssh and ftp,
One problem at a time.

From the Nagios core machine command line I can run "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ssh <IP Address> and I get back
"SSH OK - OpenSSH_6.0p1 Debian-4+deb7u2 (protocol 2.0) | time=0.008823s;;;0.000000;10.000000"

All seems well, this works on all of the Debian VMs including the Nagios Core machine.

However, the Core UI says that the status of the SSH Service is . . .

Current Status:
UNKNOWN
(for 0d 3h 7m 16s)
Status Information: check_ssh: Invalid hostname/address - $
Usage:
check_ssh [-4
Performance Data: -6] [-t <timeout>] [-r <remote version>] [-p <port>] <host>
Current Attempt: 3/3 (HARD state)
Last Check Time: 06-26-2015 16:06:30
Check Type: ACTIVE

The commands.cfg definition for SSH is:
# 'check_ssh' command definition
define command{
command_name check_ssh
command_line $USER1$/check_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$
}

And my assumption that with the exception of ftp all of the other services are working means that the HOSTADDRESS is configured correctly.
CPU Load OK 06-26-2015 16:10:52 0d 3h 16m 59s 1/3 OK - load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
Current Users OK 06-26-2015 16:10:52 0d 3h 16m 59s 1/3 USERS OK - 2 users currently logged in
FTP Monitoring CRITICAL 06-26-2015 16:16:53 1d 5h 10m 4s 3/3 NRPE: Command 'check_ftp' not defined
SSH Monitoring UNKNOWN 06-26-2015 16:16:30 0d 3h 10m 59s 3/3 check_ssh: Invalid hostname/address - $

Any help most welcome.
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: check_ssh OK on command line but not Core UI

Post by abrist »

Can you post the service check definition as well?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
millisa

Post by millisa »

Code: Select all

command_line $USER1$/check_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$
Your command definition is probably what's wrong; check_ssh doesn't use -H.

Usage:
check_ssh [-46] [-t <timeout>] [-r <remote version>] [-p <port>] <host>
Use

command_line    $USER1$/check_ssh $HOSTADDRESS$
or if you want to get fancy and be able to send the -46, or -t or -r or -p arguments from the service definition, something like

command_line    $USER1$/check_ssh $ARG1$ $HOSTADDRESS$
(you could use the $ARG1$ to send things like the -t ## or -r stuff before the host, and if you didn't send an argument, it'd be find with that, too)
But just start by getting rid of the -H and make sure it works as expected.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Thanks, millisa!

@timxjr1300
Let us know if millisa's suggestion fixed your issue.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
timxjr1300

Post by timxjr1300 »

What I cannot seem to do is work out what should be in nrpe.cfg on the monitored server.

Currently I have this:

command[check_ssh]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ssh

And it doesn't work all I get in the gui is:

SSH UNKNOWN 04-13-2016 16:46:20 0d 0h 16m 33s 3/3 check_ssh: Could not parse arguments

When I change the nrpe line to:
command[check_ssh]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ssh $HOSTADDRESS$

I get:
SSH UNKNOWN 04-13-2016 16:56:20 0d 0h 18m 49s 3/3 Usage:

Finally when I change nrpe to:
command[check_ssh]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ssh $ARG1$ $HOSTADDRESS$

I get the same response as above.

When I issue /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ssh 192.168.x.x from the command line on the Nagios monitoring server I get. .
SSH OK - OpenSSH_6.7p1 Raspbian-5+deb8u1 (protocol 2.0) | time=0.077579s;;;0.000000;10.000000

I'm afraid I cannot work out what is going on, loads of advice on the web but I can't find away to get this to go.

Any help welcome
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Are you attempting to go Nagios -> NRPE -> SSH? I'm trying to understand the process, because you've introduced NRPE into the equation.

Can you post the service definitions for the services in question? I don't think $HOSTADDRESS$ is going to pass properly through NRPE.
Former Nagios Employee
timxjr1300

Post by timxjr1300 »

rkennedy wrote:Are you attempting to go Nagios -> NRPE -> SSH? I'm trying to understand the process, because you've introduced NRPE into the equation.

Can you post the service definitions for the services in question? I don't think $HOSTADDRESS$ is going to pass properly through NRPE.

Reading your response has made me think.
the service definition on the Nagios monitoring server is:
define service{
use generic-service
host_name webserver
service_description SSH
check_command check_nrpe!check_ssh
}

and the command on the monitored (web server) server in nrpe.cfg is:-
command[check_ssh]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ssh 192.168.x.x <<---- IP address of this server

What I am now getting is that SSH is OK and O/S info but it is not giving me the number of logged in users like SSH on the local Nagios monitoring server does.
Is this correct?

When I don't user nrpe!check_ssh but check_ssh I get the same result.

I was under the impression that you use nrpe to run checks on remote systems which is why I have been using it this way. Is that correct.
I'm about to put nrpe on another server which has a different operating system to the two I have used so far because I remain unconvinced that I am seeing the monitored (web server) results.
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Ah! Check_ssh will only pertain to the SSH version. You actually don't need to run it through NRPE unless the Nagios server cannot directly access it.

To provide a bit of background for you -

check_by_ssh - will act as a middleman. This is how you can have the Nagios server directly establish a SSH connection to your client. From there, you can have it run any commands (uptime, users, df, etc.)
NRPE - will also act as a middleman. Instead of using SSH authentication, it uses NRPE to do so. You can run pre-built scripts (which similar to you have done, with your command[check_ssh]).

To sum it up, you'll really only need to do one, unless for example, you had an internal network where you wanted to use a server as a 'gateway'. Example -
Nagios (10.0.0.2/24) <-> WAN <-> NRPE (different network, 192.168.0.2/24) <-> Bobs Computer (192.168.0.3/24)

Instead of opening up Bob's computer with port forwarding for SSH / NRPE, you would use the NRPE to be the 'middleman' for communication.
Former Nagios Employee