Alert threshold times

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
CalumH93

Alert threshold times

Post by CalumH93 »

Hi,

Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Im looking to have nagios only alert if a threshold has been reached for x amount of time. For example, CPU usage at 80% should alert as OK for the first 2 hours (while still being checked every 15 minutes or so), if after 2 hours it is still at 80% or higher, it should then alert as warning/critical.

This is to cut down on the amount of false issues being raised.

I have tried playing about with notification periods, check_intervals, retry_intervals and it doesn't quite do what I'm hoping it will do. I can get it so it doesn't send an email alert for the right time (for example not sending an email until the check has failed x amount of times), however it will still show on the nagios web monitoring page as a warning/critical alert which is the main thing I am trying to avoid.

I've hoping somthing can be added to the check argument or definition, however after a week of researching I'm still no where.

If anyone can point me where to start I would be greatful!

jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Re: Alert threshold times

Post by jdalrymple »

CalumH93 wrote:I can get it so it doesn't send an email alert for the right time (for example not sending an email until the check has failed x amount of times), however it will still show on the nagios web monitoring page as a warning/critical alert which is the main thing I am trying to avoid.
The UI updates on SOFT states, that's just how it is. If you know any C that could probably be modified fairly easily to suit your needs. I am not aware of any runtime configuration to change that behavior.