Mails are not sending

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
dsvprasad

Mails are not sending

Post by dsvprasad »

Hi Team,
Can Any one help me out to know how to send the mails using notifications when the service status changes to critical or warning or unknown.
We configured the SES and postfix too. And we are using Nagios Core 4.1.0rc1. Please send me if anyone having the clear documentation.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Re: Mails are not sending

Post by jdalrymple »

Hi dsvprasad,

No need to shout :D

So typically the default notification command just does something to the effect of this:

echo "some stuff" | /bin/mail -s "Nagios says things are broken" youremail@example.com

Obviously it's more complex of a command than that, and the path to mail might be different, however you get the picture. The first place I'd start debugging is to send yourself a test E-mail using similar constructs to verify that your ISP isn't blocking your mailer on port 25. This is quite likely the problem. If it works, we'll just need to debug what's going wrong with the notify command. If it doesn't we will have to get you setup to mail using smtp or setup your postfix to relay.

Let us know. Also it might be useful to know what flavor of *NIX you installed on.
dsvprasad

Post by dsvprasad »

Hi jdalrymple,
Thanks for the information. I am using ubuntu 12.04,the command is which you sent is working fine and I am able to get the mails internally.This is happened when I installed postfix on my machine. But we need to get the mails automatically when the service changes to critical or warning.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

dsvprasad wrote:Hi jdalrymple,
Thanks for the information. I am using ubuntu 12.04,the command is which you sent is working fine and I am able to get the mails internally.This is happened when I installed postfix on my machine. But we need to get the mails automatically when the service changes to critical or warning.
Hello,

I suggest you read this thread. Let us know what else we can do for you!
Former Nagios Employee.
me.