Need detailed port monitoring for target server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
sushant4tech

Need detailed port monitoring for target server

Post by sushant4tech »

Hi All,

I am monitoring a remote server (Windows Server 2008) with basic nrpe commands. I need to add services to this server. On this remote server i receive data from my 3rd parties. They send the data to specific ports on this server. E.g. party a sends their data on 5555, party b sends it on 6666 and so on. There are about 30 parties that send data to the port assigned to them. I need to configure services for all these 3rd parties (each assigned to a specific port on this remote server) if any of these ports stops receiving data, i want to get notification.

I can further break it down which is if i receive no data for 15mins for any configured port then i should get warning notification and if it exceeds 45 mins then i need critical notification. can anyone tell me how should i configure these services.
- $u$h@nT
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: Need detailed port monitoring for target server

Post by hsmith »

sushant4tech wrote:Hi All,

I am monitoring a remote server (Windows Server 2008) with basic nrpe commands. I need to add services to this server. On this remote server i receive data from my 3rd parties. They send the data to specific ports on this server. E.g. party a sends their data on 5555, party b sends it on 6666 and so on. There are about 30 parties that send data to the port assigned to them. I need to configure services for all these 3rd parties (each assigned to a specific port on this remote server) if any of these ports stops receiving data, i want to get notification.

I can further break it down which is if i receive no data for 15mins for any configured port then i should get warning notification and if it exceeds 45 mins then i need critical notification. can anyone tell me how should i configure these services.
Have you looked into this plugin? It looks like it could do exactly what you are looking for.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
sushant4tech

Post by sushant4tech »

hsmith wrote:
Have you looked into this plugin? It looks like it could do exactly what you are looking for.
Ok. That sounds about right partially. I do want to know if the port is open or not and for that this plugin is perfect, but i need to dig a little deeper.
I actually need two tasks done here.
1. Need to know if the port is open and listening, which is covered in the plugin you suggested.
2. Assuming the port is open and listening, are we receiving any data. If not then i want to get warning notification if this state lasts for 15 mins and critical notification for lets say 30 mins even though the port is open and listening. This is something i am primarily looking for in the plugin.
- $u$h@nT
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

I haven't heard of a plugin that can check to see if there is traffic on a specified port, but you could look for something like that on the exchange site.
http://exchange.nagios.com
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

To expand on what tgriep said - I don't even know how to gather those particular metrics from Windows without pcap, is it even possible? I think you're going to be going down the netflow road and looking at your switches, not the Windows box... or at least I think that's going to be the easiest road.