Nagios Core Plugin on Nagios Core server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
rewilliams1988

Nagios Core Plugin on Nagios Core server

Post by rewilliams1988 »

I deployed the application on to a test server. When I logged in to the admin console it showed that the localhost was not available so i decided to install the nrpe plugin on the server to monitor the nagios core application. Am i allowed to add the NRPE plugin on Nagios server? I have not been able to start nagios since doing this. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: Nagios Core Plugin on Nagios Core server

Post by hsmith »

rewilliams1988 wrote:I deployed the application on to a test server. When I logged in to the admin console it showed that the localhost was not available so i decided to install the nrpe plugin on the server to monitor the nagios core application. Am i allowed to add the NRPE plugin on Nagios server? I have not been able to start nagios since doing this. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Can we get some more information for some clarity here?

What kind of server are you running Core on?

Which version of Core are you running?

How did you install Core?

Can you issue a service nagios status on the server?

How did you install NRPE?
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
rewilliams1988

Post by rewilliams1988 »

I am running Centos 7 and running the latest version of Nagios Core 4.1.1. When i run the systemctl status nagios it shows the service failing to start. I am going to scrap this server and start again. It seems that after install core and logging into the admin console that localhost should be available. Maybe i should troubleshoot why localhost is showing unavailable first.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

rewilliams1988 wrote:I am running Centos 7 and running the latest version of Nagios Core 4.1.1. When i run the systemctl status nagios it shows the service failing to start. I am going to scrap this server and start again. It seems that after install core and logging into the admin console that localhost should be available. Maybe i should troubleshoot why localhost is showing unavailable first.
You may want to make sure SELinux is not causing issues, issue a getenforce to make sure that it is not running. Posting what steps you used to install Core could also help us help you too. NRPE and core should not have issues running on the same machine.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
rewilliams1988

Post by rewilliams1988 »

I already de-provisioned that server and will start from scratch. Here is the document i will use. If you have a better one please post.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... n-centos-7

Thanks
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

rewilliams1988 wrote:I already de-provisioned that server and will start from scratch. Here is the document i will use. If you have a better one please post.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... n-centos-7

Thanks
I generally trust DigitalOcean, but here is a guide one of our employees wrote on his personal website. I realize that this is not for CentOS 7, but it is not going to be too different.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.