check_snmp checking entire hostgroup

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mutts

check_snmp checking entire hostgroup

Post by mutts »

I am running Nagios 3.3.1 on an OpenSuse 11.1 system.

I have defined a hostgroup, switches, for monitoring all my network switches. Each switch has it's own configuration file.

I have configured one switch as below:

Code: Select all

cat outer-sw4.cfg
define host{
        use                             generic-switch
        host_name                       outer-sw4
        hostgroups                      switches
        alias                           Foundry WS624G 24-port ethernet switch
        address                         xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        contact_groups                  admins,adr-cell
        parents                         cms
        }

# Service definition to monitor switch uptime using check_snmp
define service{
        use                             remote-service
        hostgroup_name                  switches
        service_description             Uptime
        check_command                   check_snmp! -C community -o sysUpTime.0
        }
The thing I don't understand is, Nagios runs the "check_snmp! -C community -o sysUpTime.0" check against all the devices in the switch hostgroup, not just the one the service is defined in. But it's only the chck_snmp one that gets globaly applied. If I add a service definition to ping an interface, that stays on that host only.

The check_snmp command is defined like so:

define command{
        command_name    check_snmp
        command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
        }
And the generic-switch template:

# Define a generic switch template

define host{
        name                    generic-switch  ; The name of this host template
        use                     generic-host    ; Inherit default values from the generic-host template
        check_period            24x7            ; By default, switches are monitored round the clock
        check_interval          5               ; Switches are checked every 5 minutes
        retry_interval          1               ; Schedule host check retries at 1 minute intervals
        max_check_attempts      10              ; Check each switch 10 times (max)
        check_command           check-host-alive        ; Default command to check if routers are "alive"
        notification_period     24x7            ; Send notifications at any time
        notification_interval   30              ; Resend notifications every 30 minutes
        notification_options    d,r             ; Only send notifications for specific host states
        contact_groups          admins          ; Notifications get sent to the admins by default
        register                0               ; DONT REGISTER THIS - ITS JUST A TEMPLATE
        }
Is this expected behavior for check_snmp? Or have I got something crazy in my configuration somewhere?

Thanks
mrb

Re: check_snmp checking entire hostgroup

Post by mrb »

In the service definition you are telling nagios to run the command against the hostgroup.

Change the hostgroup_name in the service definition to the host_name of the single host you want to check and that should only run the check against the one host instead of the hostgroup.
mutts

Re: check_snmp checking entire hostgroup

Post by mutts »

Arrrggg....do you know how many times I looked at that and didn't see that?

That solved it.

Thanks