Nagios XI - Performance Graphs

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jacek

Nagios XI - Performance Graphs

Post by jacek »

Hello All,

I have a simple problem - I am thinking that the performance graphs are showing wrong values (maybe instead of Mbps in Gbps).
I tested this by sucking up all my incoming WAN (10 Mbps) downloading a few GB's file, and I saw no influence on the graphs.

I simply don't know how to troubleshoot this, I imagine that I should check following things:
- values that my switch is giving through SNMP
- values being saved by MRTG (maybe there is an conversion?)
- values being drawn by the Performance Graphs plugin and also written underneath them (next conversion?)

Can anyone show me step by step how to achieve this? I'm running the 5R1.0 updated from the previous version (both had the same behaviour).

P.S.
I would also like to do one thing - as I know I have an 10/10 Mbps WAN I would like to "scale" the port as it would be 100% (1Gbps ports), is this achievable?
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Re: Nagios XI - Performance Graphs

Post by jdalrymple »

slytheer wrote:I simply don't know how to troubleshoot this, I imagine that I should check following things:
- values that my switch is giving through SNMP
- values being saved by MRTG (maybe there is an conversion?)
- values being drawn by the Performance Graphs plugin and also written underneath them (next conversion?)
It's probably a lot dumber than you think. Units are arbitrary and labeled in the perfdata. It's the job of the plugin to interpret the numbers it gets and format the output/units accordingly. Check out the performance data on the advanced tab of one of your services, post it here and we'll show you how to interpret it if it doesn't make sense to you.
slytheer wrote:I would also like to do one thing - as I know I have an 10/10 Mbps WAN I would like to "scale" the port as it would be 100% (1Gbps ports), is this achievable?
Same as above, maybe just a flag you pass into your check, maybe would require some retooling of the plugin.
jacek

Post by jacek »

Thanks for Your reply, I already looked into that and as You wrote, this doesn't make sense to me:

Code: Select all

Performance Data: in=.000524Mb/s;5;9 out=.154186Mb/s;5;9
Here is the effect of issuing the test command:

COMMAND: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_rrdtraf -f /var/lib/mrtg/172.16.11.190_10134.rrd -w 5,5 -c 9,9 -l M
OUTPUT: OK - Current BW in: 0Mbps Out: .15Mbps|in=.000511Mb/s;5;9 out=.154676Mb/s;5;9
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

https://nagios-plugins.org/doc/guidelines.html#AEN200 wrote:'label'=value[UOM];[warn];[crit];[min];[max]
Values are integers, -(hyphen) or .(period)

So:
slytheer wrote:

in=.000524Mb/s;5;9 out=.154186Mb/s;5;9
in is the label
.00052 is the value
Mb/s is the UOM

The key here is that Nagios knows nothing about units, it's just courteous enough to let you put that UOM there. As such there is no way to tell Nagios that you don't want Mb/s, you want Gb/s. This is entirely the job of the plugin. It's also important to note that you want that unit to remain the same. So some plugins might be smart enough to change the status output (the words that are in the service detail) from Mb/s to Gb/s or vice versa depending on the number of significant digits, but you'd never want that in perfdata. In perfdata if you start switching units your graphs will end up being 6 orders of magnitude different at night when there is 0 traffic as compared to daytime when there are MegaSomething of traffic.

Is it all making sense?

If so, do you understand what you need to do?

./check_whatever --help
to see if the output of the perfdata can be customized at runtime. If it can't you get to change the plugin to suit your needs.
jacek

Post by jacek »

Ok, but then it means, that the ".154186Mb/s" value could be 154,186 Mb/s or 154186 Mb/s, am I right?
So if Nagios doesn't care about the values and just presents them, then what's the point of the graphs showing values on the vertical axis? (like a level saying 2Mb/s) etc.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

slytheer wrote:that the ".154186Mb/s" value could be 154,186 Mb/s or 154186 Mb/s, am I right?
The hope is that the data that the plugin is returning is correct. If it's not, what's the point of monitoring. As far as nagios goes though, once the plugin has said to Nagios "The interface is operating at 154,186 Mb/s" nagios itself has no way to validate whether that's true or not. Also nagios doesn't know (nor care) about the difference between Mb/s, Gb/s, etc. A properly written plugin will never change the units in perfdata. Changing the units in the status output is fine, perfdata no.

Example:
service detail.jpg
performance data.jpg
performance graph.jpg
All make sense?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jacek

Post by jacek »

Sorry for such a delay in my reply.
So it seems that maybe I mixed up the graph by changing the commands send out for checks.
Even if not, You provided so detailed info that I will be able to diagnose this when I have enough time.

Thank You for Your help!
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Would you like us to keep this open or are you going to continue on your own?
Former Nagios employee
jacek

Post by jacek »

You can close the topic.
I've got it working with the help of this topic :-)
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Glad to hear! I will now close this thread out, but feel free to open another one if you ever need assistance.
Former Nagios Employee