Nagios XI Problems

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Bone8Head

Nagios XI Problems

Post by Bone8Head »

Hello guys.

I'm new in the world of Nagios XI.
I installed yesterday the Virtual Machine of Nagios XI for VSphere.
I got some problems:

The first is (by reading a Nagios Guide), for adding a Windows Machine I have to edit a /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cfg , but first I have to edit the file /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg and remove the "#" from the "/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cf". The problem is in the nagios.cfg file I cannot find any windows.cf script...and if i Search in usr-local-nagios-etc, there is not a "Objects" directory. It is correct?

The second is that I manually added a Windows machine from the Nagios XI GUI (I installed the agent on the 2nd VM), but Nagios can't ping it.

Somebody can help me?

Thank you very much.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Nagios XI Problems

Post by lmiltchev »

The first is (by reading a Nagios Guide), for adding a Windows Machine I have to edit a /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cfg , but first I have to edit the file /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg and remove the "#" from the "/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cf". The problem is in the nagios.cfg file I cannot find any windows.cf script...and if i Search in usr-local-nagios-etc, there is not a "Objects" directory. It is correct?
Can you provide us with a link to the document/tutorial you were following? I believe you are confusing Nagios XI with Nagios Core. The directory structure between the two is different. There is no "objects" directory in Nagios XI - it exists in Nagios Core only. Here's a document on the Nagios XI directory structure:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ucture.pdf

You shouldn't be managing/modifying configs in the CLI anyway, as when you apply configuration, all of the changes you made would be wiped out. You need to manage configs via the Nagios Core Config Manager. If you want to manage configs manually (the old way, as in Nagios Core), you will need to place them in the "static" directory.

Hope this helps.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

Please read through this:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... gement.pdf
The second is that I manually added a Windows machine from the Nagios XI GUI (I installed the agent on the 2nd VM), but Nagios can't ping it.
Check out the CCM and post a screenshot of your host configuration. Also try pinging this host from the Nagio XI cli and let us know if that works.

Grtz
Nagios XI 5.8.1
https://outsideit.net
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

Thank you Willem.

Let us know what you come up with, @Bone8Head.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
Bone8Head

Post by Bone8Head »

Hello guys, thank you for your help.
Actually, I think that you are right, I was watching a Nagios Core Documentation.
Now I will the guide that you linked for Configure my Nagios XI.
Now I added the VM from the vSphere Host, and I don't see the problem of Pinging now.
Now please, I've got some questions for you:

1) Now the VM's that I added from the vSphere Host got a Service Input/Output Issue (Unknown Error). It is normal?
2) I have to use Nagios for Monitoring all my Servers - VM. I want that Nagios alert me via E-Mail, if a Database, a Server or something like that got a problem (Full RAM or CPU Usage, Disk Full, something like that). I see that from the VMware Monitoring I cannot see the Disk Usage, but I'm sure that is a Service that can I add manually in the Nagios Core Configuragion Manager. I am right?
3) How can I told Nagios to DON'T alert me via E-Mail and stop saying "CRITICAL ERROR" if a VM or Server is on "Power Off"?
4) There is a tool that can "automatically" add the NRPE Tool? Because I'm having the famous "Cannot complete the SSL Handshake" issue, and I can't find the right solution for it.

Thank you very much in advance to all of you.
Bone8Head

Post by Bone8Head »

Ah and sorry guys, but I have another question.
Where I am wrong in the Syntax of the NagiosXI Plugins?
I'll explain: I'm trying for example to add a Service of the check_snmp_synology command on my Nagios XI, but is still give me an error.
I've tried a LOT of configurations, but it still reject my "apply configuration" on Nagios Core Configuration, because if I try the same command on the nagios console, it works (like the 3rd Screenshot).
I'm pretty sure that I'm writing something bad in the command or in the Service box...can someone help me out for this problem aswell?

Thank you!

COMMAND

SERVICE

NAGIOS CONSOLE
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

This looks ok, what are the permissions of

Code: Select all

ls -l /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp_synology
is it executable by the nagios user/group?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
Bone8Head

Post by Bone8Head »

scottwilkerson wrote:This looks ok, what are the permissions of

Code: Select all

ls -l /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp_synology
is it executable by the nagios user/group?
That's the permission:

Bone8Head

Post by Bone8Head »

I changed the permission of the plugin in 777 and I put the root:nagios proprietary-group, but nothing changed...
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

I notice a line break in $ARG2$ - is there perhaps a space between the G and the 2?