Nagios Log Server Offline Installation

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
cgutierr

Nagios Log Server Offline Installation

Post by cgutierr »

Hello,

I am trying to demo/install NLS on our offline network but installation fails when trying to install pip. Can I install this manually to get this to work? What else would I need to install manually? I am on a fresh RHEL 6.7 image. Or do you have a tarball that has the pip package already included? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

V/R,

Christopher Gutierrez
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: Nagios Log Server Offline Installation

Post by hsmith »

We do not offer an offline install for any of our products other than Nagios XI. Something you could do is download our prebuild virtual machines and load them in to your offline environment. There are a lot of packages you will need to install manually in order to make this work, I recommend you take the ova route.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
cgutierr

Post by cgutierr »

Unfortunately, due to our very strict security policy (Government Entity) we cannot deploy a VM from an OVF/OVA template from an unsecure network to our secure network. The VM must be built on the network it will reside. Would you be able to tell me what additional python packages must be installed to get this to work? We are really interested in evaluating this product fully...

V/R,

Christopher Gutierrez
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

You can do this, but I noted a few weird issues regarding the install. The following instructions should be sufficient.

First, open the fullinstall script and comment out the pip install instructions in the fullinstall script as well as the ntpdate instructions:

#ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org

# install pip
# python get-pip.py

# install ES Curator, argparse and jsonselect
# pip install argparse jsonselect elasticsearch-curator==3.4.0

After that, we installed the pip packages locally (on a server with internet access):

Code: Select all

mkdir /tmp/pipfiles
pip install --download /tmp/pipfiles/ argparse jsonselect elasticsearch-curator==3.4.0

After the download is complete, transfer those files over to the server you intend on installing Nagios Log Server on and put them in the same directory (/tmp/pipfiles)

On Nagios Log Server, you can now install them locally:

pip install --no-index --find-links /tmp/pipfiles argparse jsonselect elasticsearch-curator==3.4.0
After the local installation was completed, I noted that all curator packages were installed in /usr/local as opposed to /usr. I had to make a hard link for the elasticsearch patch to apply appropriately:

ln -s /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/curator/curator.py /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/curator/curator.py
Naturally you'll also need a way to install all of the dependencies that exist in the fullinstall script - be sure to take care of that.

After you've done all of the above, try running ./fullinstall - I expect that it should work. Thanks!
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
cgutierr

Post by cgutierr »

Got it, thank you! I'll keep you guys updated on the status.
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Sounds good, I'll leave this thread open - let us know if you have any further questions.
Former Nagios Employee
cgutierr

Post by cgutierr »

I have installed the Python packaged and all the package dependencies but when I open the web browser I get "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /nagioslogserver/ on this server. Any ideas?
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

Is SELinux running?
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
cgutierr

Post by cgutierr »

I just set SElinux to permissive, turned off iptables, and restarted httpd. Still no joy.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

What's the output of this command?

ls -l /var/www/html/nagioslogserver/
Former Nagios Employee.
me.