Nagios On Inside Monitored Servers on Outside

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
xmurphylee

Nagios On Inside Monitored Servers on Outside

Post by xmurphylee »

Need some advice/help on a firewall issue. Not sure this is the forum I should be in, but anyhow this is the issue: I got a Linux box hosting Nagios that is on the inside interface of a Cisco ASA5510. The Windows boxes I monitor are on the outside interface of the same Cisco ASA5510. I have no problem with Nagios communicating with the Windows servers as traffic is passed from the inside to outside on the 5510. The problem I am having is Nagios "Cannot fetch information from the server" to receive the resource information such as, C:\ Drive Space, CPU Load, Memory Usage, etc. In other words the firewall is blocking the outside interface from coming inside.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Re: Nagios On Inside Monitored Servers on Outside

Post by eloyd »

Your solution is likely going to involve passive checks. This is where you schedule and run the command locally on the remote server, and then it sends the results back to Nagios using NRDP, NSCA, or another protocol. https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... hecks.html would be a good place to start.

Alternatively, you could wrap the checks into an SSH tunnel by using the check_by_ssh wrapper, and assuming that your firewall allows SSH traffic, still perform them as active checks from the Nagios server. This assumes you have an SSH server installed on your Windows boxes.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
bwallace

Post by bwallace »

Thanks eloyd - OP, let us know if any of those options will work for you and if there are any questions -
Be sure to check out the Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
xmurphylee

Post by xmurphylee »

Im sorry guys got so busy with other projects Ill be looking into this tomorrow.
bwallace

Post by bwallace »

No worries, we'll leave this thread open and you can post an update whenever it's convenient....
Be sure to check out the Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!