NagiosGraph Memory Usage

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
neworderfac33

NagiosGraph Memory Usage

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good afternoon,

I'm currently using NagiosGraph to chart memory usage - however, in one instance, it's showing the maximum usage as the full amount of RAM, both physical (4GB) and virtual (6GB).

Is there any way in which I can monitor just the use of physical memory?

Cheers

Pete
tacolover101

Re: NagiosGraph Memory Usage

Post by tacolover101 »

hi Pete, this really depends on the plugin you're using, as it simply parses the perf data returned by it. i would take a look at the plugin you're using and see if it supports physical only.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Thanks @tacolover101 for the help. One more thing to look at is the plugin has an command line option to change the performance data output.
Some plugins have that feature.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

At the moment, I'm using check_nt, which combines physical and virtual, so I'm going to have to change to check_nrpe to see just physical, which with 500+ (mostly WIndows) hosts will be a fairly extensive exercise...

I've managed to get my Nagios master to communicate with one remote server by changing its nsclient.ini to a check_nrpe supporting version provided by your good selves that last time I was looking at this issue:

Code: Select all

[root@MyNagiosMaster libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H mytargethost
I (0.4.3.143 2015-04-29) seem to be doing fine...
I have Googled a solution that involves me downloading an additional plugin (check_mem) at http://xmodulo.com/monitor-server-memor ... cutor.html

It's getting late in the day - would I have to install check_mem on each of my remote hosts (and indeed, is this necessarily the best way of resolving my requirement)?

Thanks in advance

Pete
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

You shouldn't have to install a plugin on the Windows systems, the NSClient has a memory command in it so to check the Physocal Memory, you would run this.

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -c CheckMEM -a 'type=physical' MaxWarn=80% MaxCrit=90%
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

That's brilliant - thank you! :-)

Here's my final solution, if anyone's interested:

define command{
command_name check_nrpe_physmem
command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 5666 -c CheckMEM -a MaxWarn=80% MaxCrit=90% ShowAll=long type=physical
}
define service{
    use                  generic-service
    host_name            MN2GAM12099U
    service_description  NRPE Physical Memory Only
    check_command        check_nrpe_physmem
    }
if you change "type=physical" to "type=page", this reflects the TOTAL, rather than the PHYSICAL memory.

The thread can now be closed, and thanks for your assistance

Pete
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I'll be closing this thread now, but feel free to open another if you need anything in the future!
Former Nagios employee