Nagios remote nrpe check_disk returns permission denied

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
sinaowolabi

Nagios remote nrpe check_disk returns permission denied

Post by sinaowolabi »

Hi!

I have a problem with remote check_disk command using check_disk.
The remote server (RHEL 7.2) has nrpe installed and when I run check_disk locally, I get correct response:
/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20% -c 10% -A -X configfs -X cgroup -X tmpfs -X selinuxfs -X sysfs -X proc -X mqueue -X binfmt_misc -X devtmpfs
DISK OK - free space: / 7231 MB (25% inode=92%); /boot 266 MB (62% inode=99%); /tmp 9387 MB (99% inode=99%); /var/log 95114 MB (99% inode=99%); /dataspace 87398 MB (22% inode=99%); /var/lib/docker/devicemapper 7231 MB (25% inode=92%);

But trying to run it from nagios server via nrpe returns:
/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H server -c check_hda1
DISK CRITICAL - /var/lib/docker/devicemapper/mnt/39f72d56797955d3a4d9c21221b6da1ef3b98d0b165d89dd371cc70e80908009 is not accessible: Permission denied

Ive disabled SELinux on the remote server, Ive added permissions via sudo to allow nrpe and nagios user commands to run:
User_Alias NRPERS = nagios, nrpe
Cmnd_Alias NRPERSCOMMANDS = /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/eventhandlers/fix_ipsec, /usr/bin/docker inspect *, /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check-docker-container.sh *
Defaults:NRPERS !requiretty
NRPERS ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: NRPERSCOMMANDS

Please what could be the problem?
tgriep
Madmin

Re: Nagios remote nrpe check_disk returns permission denied

Post by tgriep »

Try adding the path to the check_disk plugin to your Cmmd_Alias NRPERSCOMMANDS line in your /etc/sudoers like the example below.

Code: Select all

Cmnd_Alias NRPERSCOMMANDS = /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/eventhandlers/fix_ipsec, /usr/bin/docker inspect *, /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check-docker-container.sh *, /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_disk
Also, in the nrpe command definition put the sudo command in it so when the agent runs it, it will run it as root.

Code: Select all

command[check_hda1]=/usr/bin/sudo /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20% -c 10% -A -X configfs -X cgroup -X tmpfs -X selinuxfs -X sysfs -X proc -X mqueue -X binfmt_misc -X devtmpfs
Both of those changes should get the check_disk to run as root and fix the error you are receiving.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
sinaowolabi

Post by sinaowolabi »

Thanks a lot, that worked!
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Your welcome, glad it is working. I'll mark the post as solved and lock it. If you have any questions in the future, feel free to open a new post.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!