In which database the report data is stored ?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
sac1472

In which database the report data is stored ?

Post by sac1472 »

I need to give access some other team for report generation. But I can't find the exact data to share with them so they can generate report using data from nagios.

So, Please provide me location of data or table from which nagiosxi generates all reports.

Thanks in advance
mcapra

Re: In which database the report data is stored ?

Post by mcapra »

It depends on what sort of reports you want to run, but stuff like SLA/Availability reports are actually not held in-database. They are generated by parsing the Nagios logs directly.

Having said that, depending on what sort of reporting you want to do there may be entries in the databases that are relevant.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
sac1472

Post by sac1472 »

Yeah... I need data from nagiosxi which is responsible to generate Availability,SLA and State History Report.

So can you provide me file-name or database.table name which is containing respective data ?

Thanks for Prompt support!!!!!!!
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

As @mcapra pointed out, this information is not stored in one single database table. Is there a reason you can't just run the reports from the web interface? That would be a lot easier.
Former Nagios employee
sac1472

Post by sac1472 »

Actually, I need to share backend report data with data warehouse team. So, they can generate report as per customer requirement.
That's why, I need database table or filename which contains the respective data.

If possible, can you share any document which having explanation about contents of all three database (nagios , nagiosql , nagiosxi) ?
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

sac1472 wrote:I need database table or filename which contains the respective data.
The primary Nagios XI/Core log file is located here:
/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log

And the historical log files are located here:
/usr/local/nagios/var/archives
sac1472 wrote:If possible, can you share any document which having explanation about contents of all three database (nagios , nagiosql , nagiosxi) ?
This documentation covers the nagios database:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... _Model.pdf

I don't know of any similar documentation for nagiosql or nagiosxi, though I think if you had specific questions about a specific table/column they could be answered.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Thanks for the assist, @mcapra!
Former Nagios employee
sac1472

Post by sac1472 »

Thanks for support & that document @mcapra!
mcapra wrote: The primary Nagios XI/Core log file is located here:
/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log

And the historical log files are located here:
/usr/local/nagios/var/archives
So, You are saying that nagiosxi generates reports using only nagios.log & archives. & No data is fetched by nagiosxi from databases to generate report. is that correct ?

If yes, I will share only nagios.log & archives to dataware house team. so they can generate report.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

sac1472 wrote:I need data from nagiosxi which is responsible to generate Availability,SLA and State History Report.
Why not just give them XI user accounts if those are all you need?

If you are giving them access so that they can make custom reports, then you may want to give them database access, but helping build *custom* reports is not really support. That's consulting. Of course, that's some other community members like @mcapra can do on the forums, but it's not something that the support team does.

If you need help building *custom* reports, then you should email sales@nagios.com to get a quote, or speak with a third-party consultant like http://everwatch.global/ @eloyd is a frequent user of the forums.

Lastly, the information in the databases is not proprietary. You can just do an mysqldump if you want to take a deeper look into the databases.

NagiosQL is the the database the CCM uses. NagiosXI is where XI-specific information like users (rather than contacts) are stored. The table names are reasonably descriptive. The show tables command should get you started.

Also, for clarity, the nagios database is probably the most useful database for what you are trying to do. That may have been implicit in my description of the XI db, but I wanted to be clear.
Last edited by dwhitfield on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarity about nagios db