NRPE 3.0.1 doesn’t work after upgrading to macOS Sierra

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mattiasvdm

NRPE 3.0.1 doesn’t work after upgrading to macOS Sierra

Post by mattiasvdm »

Moderator Edit: This thread has been split from another - https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 0&p=197432
In the future, please create a new thread and link to the old one instead of adding on.

Unfortunately no follow up on this post. I've got the same problem after updating a macOS server to Sierra. However, I also have a working macOS Sierra server. So it seems some local issue. Nagios is saying:

Code: Select all

CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon. Check the remote server logs for error messages.
I'm trying to troubleshoot by running the check_nrpe command manually from the Nagios server and I'm getting:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H XX.XX.X.XX -n
Connection refused by host
However, I'm getting the same error when I use the IP address of any working macOS server. So I'm not running the command the same way Nagios does. Where can I find the exact command that's ran by Nagios? I've checked the nagios.log but this is only displaying server alerts and server events.
I've also checked to see if NRPE is running on the mac server, but I couldn't find any processes with that name. But again, I could also not find it on any other Mac servers which work just fine. Is this a constantly running process or is this only running when triggered by the Nagios server?

I do have an old version of Nagios (Nagios Core 3.4.3).

Hope you can help.
mattiasvdm

Re: NRPE 3.0.1 doesn’t work after upgrading to macOS Sierra

Post by mattiasvdm »

I actually found the root cause. The /usr/local/nagios directory ownership was somehow broken after the update. I made the nagios user owner again and it started working.

The fact that the manual command didn't work was because I was using the wrong port number. Found the right port number in nagios.cfg.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: NRPE 3.0.1 doesn’t work after upgrading to macOS Sierra

Post by scottwilkerson »

mattiasvdm wrote:I actually found the root cause. The /usr/local/nagios directory ownership was somehow broken after the update. I made the nagios user owner again and it started working.

The fact that the manual command didn't work was because I was using the wrong port number. Found the right port number in nagios.cfg.
Thanks for sharing this, we will keep an eye out for any other instances of the directory owner changing on install/upgrade.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com