Backups

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
matson-itops

Backups

Post by matson-itops »

New to administering Matson NagiosXI

have issues with the backup. can someone work with me on reviewing?
two issues
a) running a manual backup failed due to size being too large. how do I estimate the size of a full backup
b) scheduled backups are failing . no new files are being written to configured directory
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Backups

Post by dwhitfield »

How much space do you have? df -h will be of use.

Unless you have your backups in a directory you are backing up, the backups should really not be that big. I would suggest increasing your disk space: https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... M-Disk.pdf

The scheduled backups are almost certainly failing for the same reason the manual backup did.
matson-itops

Post by matson-itops »

I have over 60gb of space in the local backup directory (yes, we're working on moving that elsewhere)

The largest backup I saw was about 9gb tar.gz. from Apr 2017
The backup I tried to run today got up to 42gb before I killed it to stop it from filling the disk

How can I check how large the backup would be? Is there a way to limit the backup to just the minimum configs?
Once I do that, I can request a minimal additional disk space.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Ultimately, the backups are just a bash script, so if you want to comment out specific lines, you certainly can. Perfdata will likely be large, but it's also something people usually want. It will just depend on your organization.

9GB seems quite large. Can you PM me your Profile? It may shed some light on the situation. You can download it by going to Admin > System Config > System Profile and click the ***Download Profile*** button towards the top. If for whatever reason you *cannot* download the profile, please put the output of View System Info (5.3.4+, Show Profile if older) in the thread (that will at least get us some info). This will give us access to many of the logs we would otherwise ask for individually. If security is a concern, you can unzip the profile take out what you like, and then zip it up again. We may end up needing something you remove, but we can ask for that specifically.

You can also generate a profile manually using the script at /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/includes/components/profile/getprofile.sh

That should generate a profile in /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/components/ which you can get off the server with an application such as FileZilla.

After you PM the profile, please update this thread. Updating this thread is the only way for it to show back up on our dashboard.

UPDATE: profile shared with techs
Last edited by dwhitfield on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pm received
matson-itops

Post by matson-itops »

ok sent profile
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

I noted this in the PM, but the profile did not come through.

You can modify this as needed for your filesystem, but du -a /var/log | sort -n -r | head -n 10 should be useful in determining what is so large.

As far as the backups specifically go, you might want to do something like du -a /usr/local | sort -n -r | head -n 10 instead. The one for the logs might be useful for trying to prune some space.
matson-itops

Post by matson-itops »

not sure why profile is not going through as a zip

ill open it and look at thoes items. it's very concerning backup suddenly got so huge.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

What's the output of du -a /usr/local | sort -n -r | head -n 10? That might give us some clues. The profile looks pretty normal. You've got some load issues, but those are unrelated to the issue at hand.
matson-itops

Post by matson-itops »

47365200 /usr/local
42883156 /usr/local/nagiosxi
42740776 /usr/local/nagiosxi/tmp
4320284 /usr/local/nagios
2826732 /usr/local/nagios/share
2814752 /usr/local/nagios/share/perfdata
1473708 /usr/local/nagios/var
1456212 /usr/local/nagios/var/archives
279604 /usr/local/nagiosxi/tmp/backendcache
181056 /usr/local/nagiosxi/tmp/exportreport-nagiosadmin-59c29409eb306
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

What about du -a /var/log | sort -n -r | head -n 10?

Are you using symlinks?

When you say you are running a manual backup, how exactly are you doing that?

It may be easier to move this to a ticket at customersupport@nagios.com, but that's totally up to you. If you do that, then we could potentially schedule a remote session where it might be quicker to resolve. This week is pretty booked up though, so it might be next week before we can do the remote.