How To: Tips For Customising Configuration Wizards

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Box293
Too Basu

How To: Tips For Customising Configuration Wizards

Post by Box293 »

Tips For Customising Configuration Wizards
Tips For Customising Configuration Wizards.pdf
Nagios XI comes with built in Configuration Wizards that allow you to monitor a host with little effort.

You may have a handful of services that you would like to add to a Configuration Wizard so you do not have to manually create them after the Configuration Wizard has been run. It is easy to modify an existing Configuration Wizard to include your customisations.

You can also create your own Configuration Wizard once you have understood the how a Configuration Wizard works.

This document is a guide of tips to help you achieve this. This document is a work in progress so some sections may not be complete or 100% correct.

Nagios XI Service Relationship Map
Nagios XI Service Relationship Map.pdf
This diagram shows a graphical representation of how the components of Nagios XI work together.

Feedback

Please let me know your comments /corrections / suggestions.

Feedback is always welcome :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
mmestnik

Re: How To: Tips For Customising Configuration Wizards

Post by mmestnik »

Great documents! I'll make sure the other members of my team see them.

On a related note I've been working on streamlining the Wizard creation process. I've factored a lot of the common code into a sharable form, so the Wizard looks bigger then it is and hopefully this code can be merged into XI.

I hope this style is useful to every one and if you write any classes, like radio/list/pulldown/ect, please submit them for inclusion.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

I should note that I'm mew to PHP and some of these concepts were vary difficult to implement *correctly, I'm sure there is room for improvement but I've reached the limit of what I am able to do with PHP. I'm looking to be mentored further in the art of PHP, as I'm coming form perl and C,not C++. This is my first time writing objects, I'd have rather used procedural syntax, though this was the only way to get multiple scopes.

* In a way where they would compile and run as expected.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

A note about my note. Today I'm going to work on creating Objects for a handful of other input elements. Looking at the list there are quite a few and for some of them like "file" or "image" I don't necessarily want to work out the details of how it would be used currently. Others like submit, button, and reset I can't discover what they would be doing in a configwizard.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

These new additions sound great. I'll have have a look soon at the attachment.

Work is busy at the moment, not much time left for other interests :cry:

Wish I could help you with the PHP stuff ... my skills lie in butchering someone else's code :lol:
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
benhank

Post by benhank »

sweet diagrams man kudo's!
Proudly running:
NagiosXI 5.4.12 2 node Prod Env 2500 hosts, 13,000 services
Nagiosxi 5.5.7(test env) 2500 hosts, 13,000 services
Nagios Logserver 2 node Prod Env 500 objects sending
Nagios Network Analyser
Nagios Fusion