check_wmi_plus

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
delboy1966

check_wmi_plus

Post by delboy1966 »

We've been having some issues with wmi checks on Windows 2008 boxes, its happened across different servers.
A check will timeout or give a Windows error and then the next check it will check fine.

I've looked into it as much as I can and found mention of a possible memory leak in WMI on Windows 2008 boxes but the suggested hotfix has already been applied to our Windows 2008 boxes as part of our regular updates.

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this and if they found out what the issue was.

I think maybe its the Windows boxes being under load and not enough resources available to answer the request.
But I've no way of proving this or debugging it as it happens to random servers throughout the day.

Thanks
Tony
mcapra

Re: check_wmi_plus

Post by mcapra »

A lot of the default check_wmi_plus queries use the LIKE conditional which can (though certainly not as a rule) be significantly more expensive than the = conditional. These queries exist in your check_wmi_plus.ini file and the plugin is fairly liberal with allowing you to modify/alter/create them (just back the file up before you mess with it). Not sure if that will solve your problem, but in the case of checking processes/services the change might be meaningful as those classes can get quite bloated. I'm guessing if you're aggressively monitoring a couple dozen processes/services on a given 2008 machine that using = in the queries could save some time.

You might also fiddle around with the -d flag for check_wmi_plus and get some additional output to better identify bottlenecks. All of the above assumes the bottleneck is with the remote WMI system rather than the local check_wmi_plus execution environment.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

Thanks, @mcapra! @delboy1966, Let us know if you have more questions regarding this issue. Also, have you considered increasing the -t timeout value inside the check command?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
delboy1966

Post by delboy1966 »

Tried all that was suggested and still no different.
I think it must just be the Windows boxes being a pain.

Thanks anyway
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

So you used the "-d" flag to enable debugging, but you didn't find any clues in the output of what could be causing the timeouts?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
delboy1966

Post by delboy1966 »

I believe we found the issue with the timeouts.
It was a network issue.
Thanks for your help.

Thread can be closed.