Nagios monitor phone system

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mach

Nagios monitor phone system

Post by mach »

Our system provides caller live traffic information. Can Nagios monitor the phone system? the healthy situation of both the phone port and the transfer call once in system call flow.
I search all plugins in Exchange site and only found some Telephony projects for Asterisk or other servers I am not familiar with. We use Nuance Voice Platform. Do you have additional information can help?
jsmurphy

Re: Nagios monitor phone system

Post by jsmurphy »

Until today I had never even heard of nuance... google has revealed nothing so I don't think there are any existing plugins, you would probably need to create your own.
teh0015

Post by teh0015 »

mach wrote:Our system provides caller live traffic information. Can Nagios monitor the phone system? the healthy situation of both the phone port and the transfer call once in system call flow.
I search all plugins in Exchange site and only found some Telephony projects for Asterisk or other servers I am not familiar with. We use Nuance Voice Platform. Do you have additional information can help?
I realize this is insanely old but I'm currently needing to do pretty much the same thing.
Has anybody found a way of doing this? My searches haven't turned up much beyond this thread.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

One option you can look in to is if the device supports SNMP, you may be able to monitor it using that.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
teh0015

Post by teh0015 »

tgriep wrote:One option you can look in to is if the device supports SNMP, you may be able to monitor it using that.
thanks
I don't know that what I need I can get via snmp - what I'm trying to do is create a check that will dial a sip number, wait for x seconds, play a sound file, then record the response for x seconds, then send that off to google's voice api.

The idea being to call a phone tree, select an option, and verify that the correct response is spoken back to the caller.
... and of course to then wrap that up as a Nagios check. ;)

*unfortunately I've been less than successful getting the first part of this to work.
There's a cli sip client for linux called sipcmd but I haven't been able to get it to work and I haven't found too much online about using it.
(I'm very clearly *not a telephony person)
tacolover101

Post by tacolover101 »

teh0015 wrote:
tgriep wrote:One option you can look in to is if the device supports SNMP, you may be able to monitor it using that.
thanks
I don't know that what I need I can get via snmp - what I'm trying to do is create a check that will dial a sip number, wait for x seconds, play a sound file, then record the response for x seconds, then send that off to google's voice api.

The idea being to call a phone tree, select an option, and verify that the correct response is spoken back to the caller.
... and of course to then wrap that up as a Nagios check. ;)

*unfortunately I've been less than successful getting the first part of this to work.
There's a cli sip client for linux called sipcmd but I haven't been able to get it to work and I haven't found too much online about using it.
(I'm very clearly *not a telephony person)
you sound like your on your own a bit on this one.

Nuance supports sending SNMP traps, and they should be able to provide a MIB file for you to download. the traps are quite verbose, and should help to notify you if there are issues.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

You would have to find someone to write a check to do what you want as it is pretty specific for your needs.
About getting the command line application to work, it is best to contact the manufacturer for help.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!