Getting alert when available disk space is reducing quickly

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
vusaravi

Getting alert when available disk space is reducing quickly

Post by vusaravi »

Hi

I would like to get an alert when available disk space on my windows machine has been reduced by 10 GB in last 1 hour irrespective of the threshold.

Is it possible with Nagios?

Thanks in Advance.

Regard,
Ravi Kumar Vusa.
mcapra

Re: Getting alert when available disk space is reducing quic

Post by mcapra »

This is something you could certainly do within Nagios Core with the assistance of a third-party database (InfluxDB, MySQL, flat-file, SQLite, etc) but there's no simple solution or ready-made plugin that I know of. This would be a bit easier done with Nagios XI where a time-series database already exists and already collects the provided performance data for every compliant plugin, which would make writing a plugin to check trends over a period of time much easier.

Nagios Core is constructed much more in the style of black-box monitoring. What you're asking for is more in the style of white-box monitoring.

I'm a fan of how this Coursera video explains the differences between the two strategies:
https://www.coursera.org/learn/it-autom ... monitoring
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Hi Ravi,

Did the above help with what you're looking to achieve? Let us know if you have any further questions regarding this.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
tacolover101

Post by tacolover101 »

@mcapra is correct - you could do something like this with a flat file, but you'd need to get creative on your scripting / handling of persistent variables.

a simple way to accomplish this would be with a flat file, and a check running every 60m writing to it - then comparing the data from what it sees between now and last check.
tacolover101

Post by tacolover101 »

you could even bring that data into nagios log server for a good comparison ;)
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.