Nagios 4.4.0+1 Number of Comments is redoubling each reload

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
christimpaler

Nagios 4.4.0+1 Number of Comments is redoubling each reload

Post by christimpaler »

Hi folks,
a few days ago I updated to nagios 4.4.0 and today I installed version 4.4.1, but the problem (maybe a bug?) still remains.

When a comment is added to a service (due to problem acknowledgement) the number of comments ist redoubling each time the nagios daemon is reloaded (this does not happen when restarting the nagios daemon). So after a certain amount of time a service can own 8192 or more comments and nagios is slowing down daramatically. Meanwhile the files "status.dat" and "retention.dat" continue growing. Usually these files are 8 MB, but with all the comments they grow to 500 MB and more.

We use RHEL 7.5.

DO you have any similar experiences? We have two installations with the same behaviour.
Best regards

C.I.
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Nagios 4.4.0+1 Number of Comments is redoubling each rel

Post by cdienger »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've been able to reproduce and will look into it.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
bheden
Product Development Manager

Post by bheden »

Fixed in this commit:

https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/na ... 990ed88c95

A patch for you would look something like:

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/cleanup_downtime_data();/cleanup_downtime_data();free_comment_data();/' base/nagios.c
And then recompile. Or you could simply download the current maint branch from GitHub.

Thank you for pointing this out.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Nagios Enterprises
Senior Developer
christimpaler

Post by christimpaler »

Thank you for this quick solution. I recompiled and now the number of comments remains unchanged.
Topic can be closed.
Have a nice day.
C.I.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Excellent! Locking
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com