Monitoring an IBM z/OS server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
vlhelgoualch

Monitoring an IBM z/OS server

Post by vlhelgoualch »

Hello everyone and sorry for my bad English,

I'm actually in an internship in a company that require me to install a monitoring solution for a IBM z/OS server for one of their client using Nagios. Thing is, I already used Nagios once but only to monitor Windows and Unix client and z/OS is completely unknown to me.

The point would be not to only monitor all the VM inside the z/OS server but the z/OS itself and the MVS event it generate. The question is, is it possible to monitor this type of event with Nagios? And if so, is there already a plugin doing it? I don't know if it's possible to install nsclient++ in z/OS or if you have to do something else..
I searched the solution online but it does not seems to be a really frequent problem and didn't find anything.

Could someone help me and tell me if what they demand is possible or if I'm going straight into a wall?

Thank you in advance for your help.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Monitoring an IBM z/OS server

Post by scottwilkerson »

Unfortunately z/OS is completely unknown to me either, have no idea what it is but doubt you could install nsclient++

Good luck on your project, wish I could be of more assistance
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

It looks like z/OS has an awful lot of management/administration commands available on it if you could find some way to programatically execute them (I doubt NRPE/NSClient++ would be easy to compile):
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... commds.htm

You could probably build out an application on the z/OS machine itself to execute the various commands to assess the system's state, then interpret the results and submit passive checks to Nagios Core via NRDP.

I've worked with a few different monitoring platforms and none of them seem to have clear-cut integration with z/OS. Probably because IBM really super duper wants you to buy their monitoring software.

Unfortunately, due to the ... exclusivity ... of most IBM platforms, that's about all the help I can offer without a few thousand dollars for hardware and a license ;)
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
vlhelgoualch

Post by vlhelgoualch »

Thanks you for your fast answer :) .

Seems like this will be more difficult than i though then. But I found this doc about how SNMP work on z/OS http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27007146, this could help.

I'm going to try what you suggest mcapra and see is I can find a way to forward the SNMP queries from the z/OS to the Nagios server with what I found, but reading all of this and understanding it will take time...

I'll keep you in touch of my progress if this work out or not. If I can made it before the end of my internship, I'll post my internship report on how to install it there.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

If you can enable SNMP things will get easier to monitor but you then have the challenge of what SNMP oids are worth monitoring on z/OS
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com