Nagios Fusion standby

This support forum board is for questions relating to Nagios Fusion.
bomahony

Nagios Fusion standby

Post by bomahony »

Hey folks. I am wondering if there is a way to have a cold standby of the active Nagios Fusion 4 server? I can see the backup documentation creates a tarbal, and this can be copied remote. This instance wouldn't be used at all unless the primary site was offline, at which point users would be provided with an alternate URL.

My queries are:
1. Is there any official way to have a backup fusion? I couldn't really find anything on it.
2. If not, is it a planned feature?
3. If we did automate a remote copy & import, can this be done repeatedly? IE does an import have to be on a fresh install?
4. If we go down the route of #3, is it possible to disable login for users [which would need to be activated is primary went down], so they couldn't login while primary is active?

Has anyone attempted this?

When I watched the video on NF4, the guy said the licence covers an active, a backup and a dev, yet I can find this nowhere on the site.....
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Nagios Fusion standby

Post by scottwilkerson »

There is a backup and restore procedure
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... Fusion.pdf

But not a hot standby.

I can add the as a feature request.

#3 - No the restore will overwrite all of the databases and files

#4 I don't believe this is possible.
bomahony wrote:Has anyone attempted this?
The restore, yes, having a "hot standby", none that I know of.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
bomahony

Post by bomahony »

Thanks for the replies scott. A warm standby feature would ofc be great, especially as this is aimed at enterprises with multiple nagios implementations, but I do understand things like that take time.

We are currently in the process of licensing XI and fusion so I cannot test anything just yet.

In regards to #3, what you are saying is if ww did something like back up every day, scp the date to the cold standby and restore it [all in some automated way] we wouldn't corrupt anything on the cold standby? That would be an acceptable solution, if it is possible.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

That would be correct. You can use https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf to make the backup and restore on the standby machine.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
bomahony

Post by bomahony »

Hey folks. Finally got around to trying this. Import was successful. Another question I have though, is it possible to import the fuse keys as part of this?
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Are you seeing different fuse keys after the import? My understanding was that they should be part of the database that is exported/imported. I may have to verify though.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
bomahony

Post by bomahony »

I imported the backup, but it didnt have current connections to the servers, and didn't get a chance to troubleshoot.

I just had a look and I think this may be a FW issue!
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

bomahony wrote:I imported the backup, but it didnt have current connections to the servers, and didn't get a chance to troubleshoot.

I just had a look and I think this may be a FW issue!
Let us know what you find
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com