4.4.1 core: huge retention.dat and other files

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mksmr

4.4.1 core: huge retention.dat and other files

Post by mksmr »

Good afternoon all,

I'm running 4.4.1 core on Devuan 2.0 ASCII (this time on a HP DL380 Gen6, 4 cores, 32Gig RAM, so plenty of power for Nagios in our environment).

This afternoon I noticed Nagios slowing dramatically down for no apparent reason, with the main process going up to 100% on one core and serving status.cgi up to 100% on another, which made more and more processes time out. Restarting Nagios and Apache didn't help.

The CPU graph shows that load has been going up from normal to a sharp spike within three hours.

I finally checked /usr/local/nagios/var and found retention.dat being 2.8G, and a number of nagios.tmp<xxx> files from 500M to about 5G in size. I removed them, restarted Nagios and it came back up as smooth as I'm used to it.

I've been running a dozen of Nagios installations now and I've never seen such big files in var, especially I don't think I've ever seen temporary files, let alone files of about 5G in size. Any ideas what's been happening there?

TIA
Matthias
Hulluna humpasta taas
Minä olen hulluna humpasta taas
Minen toivu koskaan, luotan voimaan votkan
Hulluna humpasta taas
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: 4.4.1 core: huge retention.dat and other files

Post by scottwilkerson »

I believe what you are experiencing was fixed in 4.4.2 from this entry, which caused the retention.dat file to balloon

Code: Select all

* Fix comment data being duplicated after a `service nagios reload` or similar (#549) (Bryan Heden)
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mksmr

Post by mksmr »

Is there a workaround or should I update?
Hulluna humpasta taas
Minä olen hulluna humpasta taas
Minen toivu koskaan, luotan voimaan votkan
Hulluna humpasta taas
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

mksmr wrote:Is there a workaround or should I update?
You would need to upgrade.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com