Distributed Monitoring - Nagios 4.4.x+

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
delboy1966

Distributed Monitoring - Nagios 4.4.x+

Post by delboy1966 »

I'm currently using mod_gearman for distributed monitoring, with one main Nagios server and 6 mod_gearman worker nodes.
All works pretty well for the size of environment we have, 3500+ hosts, 27000+ services.

However we are currently on Nagios 4.3.4 and haven't been update to upgrade to 4.4.x as mod_gearman does not work with 4.4.x.
I've been waiting for a new release of mod_gearman but have been waiting since June, https://github.com/sni/mod_gearman/issues/136.

I am now under pressure by my company to upgrade to 4.4.x so we don't fall to far behind releases.
But to upgrade to 4.4.x I would have to abandon distributed monitoring (not a good idea) or find a solution that works much like mod_gearman.

So just wondered if anyone had come across anything that works like mod_gearman.
I know there are other distributed solutions but they involve a lot more work than mod_gearman does.
I don't want to have to create instances of Nagios on other boxes and send passive check results back to the main Nagios server, I want to be able to maintain all my Nagios config files from the one box.
Mod_gearman is great in this way as it takes care of getting checks from the scheduling queue and sending results back.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: Distributed Monitoring - Nagios 4.4.x+

Post by ssax »

Currently mod_gearman is the go to, I don't really know anyone else running anything different at this time, you'll need to wait for the Core devs to get to it, they are aware of the customer need for this and have indicated that they intend to get to it soon.
Pradeeps

Post by Pradeeps »

Hello,

I am running nagios 4.34 and trying to install Mod_gearman. Can you suggest any link for the installation procedure please?
delboy1966

Post by delboy1966 »

Pradeeps wrote:Hello,

I am running nagios 4.34 and trying to install Mod_gearman. Can you suggest any link for the installation procedure please?
Look at one of my other threads, it gives some information on doing that.
Pradeeps

Post by Pradeeps »

Thanks for the response. I have got some information from your post and installed it but for some reason, nagios fails loading the module.

Error message:
Nov 08 17:01:57 nagios-core.bxi.lan nagios[18197]: Error: Could not load module '/usr/lib64/mod_gearman2/mod_gearman2.o' -> /usr/lib64/mod_gearman2/mod_gearman2.o: undefined symbo...heck_attempt
Nov 08 17:01:57 nagios-core.bxi.lan nagios[18197]: Error: Failed to load module '/usr/lib64/mod_gearman2/mod_gearman2.o'.
Since you have experience in making it work, can you shed some light on what I am missing?
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Pradeeps, you likely want to create your own forum thread for this if you're having issues.

What version of Nagios Core are you running?

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -V
Pradeeps

Post by Pradeeps »

Sure. I thought so. I will create a new one for this.

/usr/sbin/nagios -V

Nagios Core 4.3.4
Copyright (c) 2009-present Nagios Core Development Team and Community Contributors
Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Ethan Galstad
Last Modified: 2017-08-24
License: GPL
Interesting thing it the version shows 4.3.4 but i installed 4.4.2 where looking at the nagios frontend it shows the same. So not sure why the cli shows 4.3.4
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

So not sure why the cli shows 4.3.4
I wonder if it didn't get all the way upgraded and that's why it's failing. Try the stuff I posted in the other thread (installing 4.2.4 and reinstalling gearman) to see if it resolves the issue.

If you get any errors during the install, please post them for us to review in the other post.

Thank you