Stop monitoring a host if it's OFF and re-monitor when ON?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Dotzek

Stop monitoring a host if it's OFF and re-monitor when ON?

Post by Dotzek »

Hi guys!

I was wondering if there's a possibility that Nagios could stop monitoring a Host if it's OFF, and turn monitoring ON when it's ON?

The idea was to use my Nagios server that will monitor if a CLIENTserver is OFF through a script which uses an API, and if the CLIENTserver is off it'll auto-remove its monitoring on it, But if the server is ON it'll re-install the monitoring automatically into the templates,

The reason I need it is because there are Hourly CLIENTservers that we need to monitor aswell, and when the hourly servers are OFF it's SPAMMING US with alerts.

I know there are better ways for it, I welcome every solution.
Thanks allot!
bolson

Re: Stop monitoring a host if it's OFF and re-monitor when O

Post by bolson »

Hello Dotzek,

Are these hosts brought down at a predetermined time? Ie; hourly? If so, the Scheduled Downtime functionality could be the solution you're looking for. If included a link to the documentation. If not, please describe with as much detail as possible the scenario you're facing.

Thank you for visiting the Nagios Support Forum!

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=544