Nagios error daily

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Phill123

Nagios error daily

Post by Phill123 »

in nagios each day I get notification critical alarm " CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call" daily at 5:00 am and at 5:10 am I got recovery notification, it is something strange below is script that i use for device, anyone faced this issue before

Code: Select all

define service{
       use                     generic-service
       host_name               GRS-BB01
       service_description     Ports G
       check_command           check_snmp!-C TEST -o .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.28 -w 1 -c 1
       }
bolson

Re: Nagios error daily

Post by bolson »

Hello Phill123,

If this issue only affects this service check, and it consistently occurs at the same time every day, it's very unlikely that it's caused on the Nagios side. I would look at the logs on GRS-BB01 and see if anything unusual happens at 5:00AM. Also, if you're monitoring other metrics on GRS-BB01, you might look at the memory and cpu performance graphs in Nagios to see if there are any spikes at that time. Let me know what you find out.

Thank you for visiting the Nagios Support Forum!
Phill123

Post by Phill123 »

How i can check logs on GRS-BB01
I monitor a lot of devices and metrics and this error it show on two devices only for specific metric
bolson

Post by bolson »

Hello phill123,

What kind of device are you monitoring?
Phill123

Post by Phill123 »

Cisco switches
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.28 is checking ifOperStatus on interface 28

It is possible because of some other process that is going on that your switch is very busy between 5:00 am and at 5:10 am and being SNMP is rated low priority, is not giving a response during that time.

as mentioned before :
bolson wrote:If this issue only affects this service check, and it consistently occurs at the same time every day, it's very unlikely that it's caused on the Nagios side. I would look at the logs on GRS-BB01 and see if anything unusual happens at 5:00AM. Also, if you're monitoring other metrics on GRS-BB01, you might look at the memory and cpu performance graphs in Nagios to see if there are any spikes at that time
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com