CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 30 seconds

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
CedricF

CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 30 seconds

Post by CedricF »

Hi,

On a Nagios alert, we have the following message:

Code: Select all

***** Nagios *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: DISKS
Host: XXXXXX
Address: XXXXXX
State: CRITICAL

Date / Time: Fri Nov 23 09:54:53 CET 2018

Additional Info:

CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 30 seconds.
The last line attracts our attention. I first look at the KB about it on the site but nothing conclusive about this case. I go around the internet but I think I'm appropriate. Does anyone have a suggestion to me about it.

Warning: I'm new to Nagios and I'm starting to learn it.

cordially
mcapra

Re: CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 30 seconds

Post by mcapra »

That typically means the check_nrpe plugin was unable to reach the NRPE server after a specified period (30 seconds by default). More info on NRPE in general:
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/nrpe

From the check_nrpe plugin's help menu:

Code: Select all

-t, --timeout=INTERVAL:STATE
    INTERVAL  Number of seconds before connection times out (default=30)
    STATE     Check state to exit with in the event of a timeout (default=CRITICAL)
    Timeout STATE must be a valid state name (case-insensitive) or integer:
    (OK, WARNING, CRITICAL, UNKNOWN) or integer (0-3)
In a nutshell, Nagios Core was unable to reach the agent on host XXXXXX after trying for 30 seconds.

To get more specific than that, we'd need to see the exact check_command you're running and have knowledge of exactly what check_nrpe is connecting to. It could be a standard NRPE server on a Linux box, an NSClient++ server running on a windows box, some windows port of NRPE, or some other bespoke server.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@CedricF, On top of everything @mcapra requested, I'd also like to see the nrpe.cfg config file if its NRPE agent on a Linux server or the nsclient.ini if that's a windows server.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
CedricF

Post by CedricF »

Thank you for your feedback. I look at this as soon as possible and I'll come back to you.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@CedricF, Sounds good.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
CedricF

Post by CedricF »

Hi,

I just met with a colleague who solved the problem on his side during my lunch break by telling me that I could never find because there is a big peculiarity on the server that was recently restart and being done had deleted a Nagios profile. He has just recreated it and he will explain this in detail later. I think I'm still going to ask you a lot before being comfortable with Nagios, because the adventure is not over.

And thanks for your help.

Best regards.

Cédric.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@CedricF, Glad you were able to resolve this. I will close this thread but feel free to open new ones in the future!