Next scheduled check time one year ahead

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Asm0

Next scheduled check time one year ahead

Post by Asm0 »

Hi,

So I have an odd problem with Nagios core since a few months. For some reason the next check time of a service will be scheduled one year ahead after it is being executed. When I manually re-schedule the check it is working and the next scheduled time is correct again until some random point where it's getting wrong again. This happens for a lot of services with different which all have different check intervals. I don't see pattern in this behaviour.

As a workaround I have a script which sets the use_retained_scheduling_info to 0, restarts Nagios, sets it back to 1 and restarts again. This corrects the scheduled time for some checks but not for all.

Does anyone know what could be the reason of such behaviour?
I am new to Nagios so I do not have a lot of experience with it.

Thanks a lot.
Attachments
nagios_bug_2.PNG
nagios_bug.PNG
mcapra

Re: Next scheduled check time one year ahead

Post by mcapra »

Which version of Nagios Core are you using?

How many total checks is Nagios Core processing? Can you share the output of a nagiostats execution?
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Also, are you sure your server didn't inadvertently experience a time shift where at some point the server was updated to a date in the future?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
Asm0

Post by Asm0 »

Sorry for the late response.

The version which is in use is 3.0.6.
I do not have the utility nagiostats. I can only share the output of the extinfo.cgi with you.
Is there any way to get the utility. I havent found any download source for it.

About the time shift. I thought the same thing at first. But the problem is happening every few days again with only some checks. And I have not found any evidence that the server time changed in any way.
Attachments
nagios_info2.PNG
nagios_info1.PNG
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Version 3.0.6 was released just over 10 years ago, and I know for fact that dozens of scheduling bugs have been fixed over the last 10 years
Version 3.x changes
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/na ... /Changelog
Version 4.x changes
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/na ... /Changelog

Is there any chance of upgrading, picking out which may have caused this on a 10 year old version will be very tricky
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
Asm0

Post by Asm0 »

I am aware that the version in use is very outdated. But i wanted to avoid to upgrade it because it has not been installed by me in the first place. I am just the guy who has to add new checks and maintain them. Therefore it is not easy to upgrade from 3.0.6 to 4.x for me because the directory stucture is completely different to the ones used in all the upgrade manuals.

But yeah, you are 100% right. Sooner or later i have to do the upgrade anyway. What i will probably do is setup a completely new Nagios installation on another server and migrate the config files.

Thanks for your help.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Asm0 wrote:But yeah, you are 100% right. Sooner or later i have to do the upgrade anyway. What i will probably do is setup a completely new Nagios installation on another server and migrate the config files.
That is a solid idea, then you can leave them both running until everything is working properly on the new system
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com