Escalation config for Nagios Core 4.4.2

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mtripodi

Escalation config for Nagios Core 4.4.2

Post by mtripodi »

Hi there,

I'm looking to setup a few different points of escalation in Nagios. I'm currently running Nagios Core 4.4.2 on CentOS 7.

At this point i'm only looking to test the first escalation point, so first 2 notifications go through usual means (admins contact group) then the third reaches the escalations contact group which is pointing to a distribution list consisting of a single members phone number. However, on the third alert notification, Nagios does not send out an email to this DL email address and he doesn't receive the text alert to his phone. Not sure what i'm doing wrong.

Attached are the screenshots of both my escalations.cfg file and contacts.cfg

Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
firstescalation.png
contacts.png
mtripodi

Re: Escalation config for Nagios Core 4.4.2

Post by mtripodi »

Actually appears I got it working now, however it's supposed to send a notification every 2 minutes after the third one it does not. Seems it's still using the notfication_interval setting in the general template. The notification_interval 2 I defined is not working.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

mtripodi wrote:Actually appears I got it working now, however it's supposed to send a notification every 2 minutes after the third one it does not. Seems it's still using the notfication_interval setting in the general template. The notification_interval 2 I defined is not working.
One thing to note is that it will only start the notification process when the service is checked, if the check_interval was say 15 minutes, setting the notification interval to 2 would still only trigger the notification every 15 minutes, because they are only sent after the service is checked again.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

Ok then do you suggest editing the check_interval associated with the service check by default? How can I configure both that and notification_interval in the escalation config so that it takes effect and starts using the new notification_interval once the third notification is escalated?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

mtripodi wrote:Ok then do you suggest editing the check_interval associated with the service check by default?
Yes, it need to be less than the notification_interval if you want it to go out at that speed.
mtripodi wrote:How can I configure both that and notification_interval in the escalation config so that it takes effect and starts using the new notification_interval once the third notification is escalated?
Unfortunately this is not possible.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

According to the following doc it is possible: https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tions.html

"When the service notification is escalated on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th notifications, an interval of 45 minutes will be used between notifications. On the 6th and subsequent notifications, the notification interval will be 60 minutes, as specified in the second escalation definition."
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Thanks for sharing the link. It sure looks like it will work.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!