mod_gearman-3.0.7

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
delboy1966

mod_gearman-3.0.7

Post by delboy1966 »

The new version of mod_gearman that works with the current core is now available I see.

I have this morning tried to install it with the latest Nagios Core version 4.4.2 but without success.
The first thing I did was update Nagios to 4.4.2 and let it run for 30 minutes to ensure it run ok.

Then used the method I used to install mod_gearman 3.0.6 by compiling it with the Nagios 4 headers from nagios-4.4.2/includes and nagios-4.4.2/lib
install the module and restarted Nagios, it started for about 20 seconds then exited with no errors or debug messages.

Has anyone successfully install the new version of mod_gearman with Nagios Core 4.4.2?
What method did you use?

I don't want to kill my Nagios install buy installing any RPMs at the moment unless this is the only way to get it working.
Currently have a copy of my Nagios server and a gearman distributed server cloned so I can experiment on those.
Just wondered if anyone has tried upgrading yet?

Thanks
Tony
swolf
Developer

Re: mod_gearman-3.0.7

Post by swolf »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've done a similar process for running 3.0.6 with the current version of Core, but haven't had a chance to run with the 3.0.7 release. We're working on officially supporting 3.0.7 with the paid version of our product, so I'll keep you posted with any further updates/changes that will need to be made. I think the goal for us is to host our own version of the DEBs/RPMs, so it should be more-or-less painless by the time we're finished.

Regards,
Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

Alright, I'm fairly confident I have a working installation with 3.0.7 running. It hasn't crashed yet and it's getting the same results I was able to get using 3.0.6. I used RPMs to do it, but you mentioned that
I don't want to kill my Nagios install buy installing any RPMs at the moment
Can you expand on what you mean by that? I have had some issues previously using the DEB repositories, but in my experience the RPM repositories have worked pretty well.

Anyways, here are my current steps for getting the server running (for anyone who is able to use RPMs):

0. Make sure your existing mod_gearman configs are backed up. I don't think they would be overwritten by the packages but it never hurts to be safe.

1. Install the EPEL and consol labs repos

Code: Select all

yum install epel-release
rpm -Uvh "https://labs.consol.de/repo/stable/rhel7/i386/labs-consol-stable.rhel7.noarch.rpm"
2. yum install the gearmand and gearmand-server packages (which should come from consol-labs-stable)

yum install gearmand gearmand-server
3. Install the unofficial mod-gearman package from the main website

wget https://mod-gearman.org/download/v3.0.7/rhel7/x86_64/mod_gearman-3.0.7-1.rhel7.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh mod_gearman-3.0.7-1.rhel7.x86_64.rpm
It would probably also work to install the package from the consol-labs repo, I just didn't notice it there at first.

Then you should just be able to edit your nagios.cfg to add the line

broker_module=/usr/lib64/mod_gearman/mod_gearman_nagios4.o config=<path-to-module-conf>
Edit: There is one thing that's a little strange, which is the fact that naemon:naemon owns all of the mod_gearman-related files. However, this doesn't seem to affect the operation of the server in any way. As I mentioned in the previous post, we'll have our own packages shortly which correct this.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
delboy1966

Post by delboy1966 »

Hi

What I meant by killing my Nagios install, I guess now reading it sounds a bit drastic, was installing the RPMs and it not working then having to tidy up by removing them and any changes they made.
But since posting that I have installed a new box and a fresh copy of Nagios and installed mod_gearman using the source from http://mod-gearman.org/download/v3.0.7/ ... 0.7.tar.gz and didn't have to compile using the headers from the Nagios source like I had to previously.
Nagios run ok and has been for a few days now without crashing, so I assume its ok.

I wonder if this version of mod_gearman will work with the next major release of Nagios Core, v5.

Tony
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Glad to hear it is working.
delboy1966 wrote:I wonder if this version of mod_gearman will work with the next major release of Nagios Core, v5.
This is hard to say at this point as it will take time to know what will all go into 5, but in all likelihood this version will not as every time there is a change to the Nagios API there has to be a corresponding change to mod_gearman for it to know what the new fields are.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com