Nagios Server Redundancy Design

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
gamal

Nagios Server Redundancy Design

Post by gamal »

Dear All,

1- if we are going to Design Nagios Server with Redundancy,"Active-passive" Nagios servers,can you provide me with Docs for that ?

2- do we need centralized remote probes, to collect monitoring data and sent it to the Nagios server.

BR,
Gamal,
mcapra

Re: Nagios Server Redundancy Design

Post by mcapra »

gamal wrote:1- if we are going to Design Nagios Server with Redundancy,"Active-passive" Nagios servers,can you provide me with Docs for that ?
Not really -- those docs don't exist. Nagios XI has some limited high availability documentation:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

I've done hot/cold setups in my lab environment with Chef, the nagios cookbook, and some clever wrapper cookbooks. You could architect a similar system around foreman if you already had the config distribution figured out (via etcd perhaps?).
gamal wrote:2- do we need centralized remote probes, to collect monitoring data and sent it to the Nagios server.
You have the option to distribute your "probes" and collect them in a central Nagios Core location via passive checks.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, a "need" for such a setup would depend on the topology of the network on which the hosts reside more than anything. If your single Nagios Core server can reach all the hosts, it can execute active checks against those hosts directly and you can just as well centralize the probes.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Nagios Server Redundancy Design

Post by cdienger »

Thanks for the input, @mcapra!
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.