NCPA on Hyper V server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
edwardwa

NCPA on Hyper V server

Post by edwardwa »

Hi!
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question but lets try...

I am setting monitoring a poc for monitoring of a few servers with different operating systems, mainly windows servers, centos and ubuntu servers and have tested NCPA to get some metrics from these machines. Today I installed NCPA on a HyperV server 2016 (the free server) and the installation works, I can see that both processes are running but the logfiles are empty and I cannot connect to the machine, not even when trying to load the webgui from powershell.

Has anyone managed to install NCPA on any HyperV server or is that impossible? How about ESXI, has anyone managed to do that?

Appreciate any helps or clues.

br
/edward
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: NCPA on Hyper V server

Post by lmiltchev »

It is possible that you are having a firewall issue. Can you make sure that port 5693 is open? What happens when you try to access https://localhost:5693/ from the actual machine?

Do you have ANY logs in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Nagios\NCPA\var\log directory? You may not have the ncpa_listener.log or ncpa_passive.log if there are issues with NCPA, but at least you should have a win32service_*.log in there... Can you upload this file(s) on the forum?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
edwardwa

Post by edwardwa »

Hi!
Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, since this is a hyperV server I have no GUI and thus no browser to test locally but if I try with wget in powershell I get:

Code: Select all

wget : Unable to connect to the remote server
At line:1 char:1
+ wget
+ ~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (System.Net.HttpWebRequest:HttpWebRequest) [Invoke-WebRequest], WebExc
   eption
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebCmdletWebResponseException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand
If I run tasklist I can see both processes running and get no error when restarting them.
I have disabled windows firewall on the machine, I have webroot running on it but it is the same setup as on another server I have where NCPA is working.

I have four logfiles, all of them empty even after I set loglevel to debug in ncpa.cfg

Been trying to look through the windows logs as well but windows was not made to be managed without a gui :-)
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Have you tried disabling the webroot to see if this is going to fix the issue? Can you post the ncpa.cfg file on the forum?

Also, from your nagios server, run the following command and show the output (you may need to install nmap if you haven't already):

nmap <Hyper V server IP address> -p 5693
edwardwa

Post by edwardwa »

Hi again!
Now I have removed webroot and tried nmap:

# nmap 192.168.8.17 -p5693

Starting Nmap 7.60 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-02-14 09:36 CET
Nmap scan report for nnnnn (192.168.8.17)
Host is up (0.00018s latency).

PORT     STATE  SERVICE
5693/tcp closed rbsystem
MAC Address: xx:xx:xx... (Hewlett Packard)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.59 seconds
Have tested NCPA on another machine running a real Windows 2012 Server next to this one and there everything works.

Attached ncpa.cfg but has not made any major changes to it after install.
Attachments
ncpa.cfg
(8.18 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

It seems like you modified the "default" settings in the ncpa.cfg file. You have this:

ip =
port =
but you should have this:

ip =0.0.0.0
port =5693
In addition to that, nmap says that port 5693 is closed...
PORT STATE SERVICE
5693/tcp closed rbsystem
What is the "rbsystem" service? Do you have anything on this server, using the same port as NCPA?
edwardwa

[Solved] NCPA on Hyper V server

Post by edwardwa »

Hi Again!

Adding ip and port in ncpa.cfg solved the problem. Weird thing is that when I looked into the original file that was installed they where not defined either... but that does not matter anymore since it works and I know the problem now.

Would like to express my greatest gratitude for the time you to sort this out and get it working for me, really appreciate it.

br
/edward
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: [Solved] NCPA on Hyper V server

Post by scottwilkerson »

edwardwa wrote:Hi Again!

Adding ip and port in ncpa.cfg solved the problem. Weird thing is that when I looked into the original file that was installed they where not defined either... but that does not matter anymore since it works and I know the problem now.

Would like to express my greatest gratitude for the time you to sort this out and get it working for me, really appreciate it.

br
/edward
Glad it is resolved!

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com