Nagios XI windows monitoring through WMI WITHOUT plugin

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Kush

Nagios XI windows monitoring through WMI WITHOUT plugin

Post by Kush »

Nagios XI windows monitoring through WMI WITHOUT plugin. Is that possible? I know it can be monitored with plugin. Can it also be done without plugin using WMI. We do so in other monitoring tools like ManageEngine Opmanager. Was wondering if the same is possible in Nagios XI?
mcapra

Re: Nagios XI windows monitoring through WMI WITHOUT plugin

Post by mcapra »

Nagios checks results are retrieved either actively or passively.

Active checks are tied to some specific command/plugin execution. Passive checks are not.

So yes, you could perform WMI monitoring without a specific "plugin" passively. You can leverage an agent like NCPA or NSClient++ to perform the checks on the remote machine, then ship them back to Nagios.

But if you want to perform any sort of monitoring of WMI, a client of some form is going to be involved to handle the WMI communications and translate those into Nagios check results. I would imagine Opmanager has this exact same restriction, though their client may be embedded in the code itself.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Thanks @mcapra!

If you have any other questions, just let us know.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
Kush

Post by Kush »

Thanks all for their time and input. I greatly appreciate it. I think the thread can be locked.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi Kush,
Thanks all for their time and input. I greatly appreciate it. I think the thread can be locked.
Great. Closing.

Thank you for using the Nagios Support Forum.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!