CHECK_WINDOWS_UPDATES - NRPE ERROR

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
fodmidoid

CHECK_WINDOWS_UPDATES - NRPE ERROR

Post by fodmidoid »

Hi Everyone,

I set up a plugin I found on Nagios Exchange called, "Check Windows Updates using Powershell" (link below) on my Nagios Core 4 server.

It is working for all but one of my 28 Windows 2016/2008 R2 servers and I can't figure out why. I set it up exactly the same way as all the other servers. I'm hoping someone here can give help.

Here is the link to the plugin https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... ll/details

I have attached the script, as well as the nsclient.ini file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the result of running the following command:
[root@nagioscore objects]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.0.0.xxx -c check_updates
Missing expression after unary operator '-'.
At line:1 char:2
+ -j <<<< oin $htReplace.Keys
$htReplace[$args[0].value] U$htReplace[$args[0].value] p$htReplace[$args[0].value] d$htReplace[$args[0].value] a$htReplace[$args[0].value] t$htReplace[$args[0].value] e$htReplace[$args[0].value] s$htReplace[$args[0].value] :$htReplace[$args[0].value] $htReplace[$args[0].value] 6$htReplace[$args[0].value] $htReplace[$args[0].value] c$htReplace[$args[0].value] r$htReplace[$args[0].value] i$htReplace[$args[0].value] t$htReplace[$args[0].value] i$htReplace[$args[0].value] c$htReplace[$args[0].value] a$htReplace[$args[0].value] l$htReplace[$args[0].value] ,$htReplace[$args[0].value] $htReplace[$args[0].value] 2$htReplace[$args[0].value] 5$htReplace[$args[0].value] $htReplace[$args[0].value] o$htReplace[$args[0].value] p$htReplace[$args[0].value] t$htReplace[$args[0].value] i$htReplace[$args[0].value] o$htReplace[$args[0].value] n$htReplace[$args[0].$htRe] a$htReplace[$args[0].value] l$htReplace[$args[0].value]
Attachments
nsclient.ini
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: CHECK_WINDOWS_UPDATES - NRPE ERROR

Post by npolovenko »

@fodmidoid, Please replace the existing nsclient.ini file with the one I attached to this post. Then restart the NSCLient service on the windows server.
Open a command prompt as an administrator on your Windows machine and execute the following command:

Code: Select all

powershell.exe Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass
Then on the nagios server use this command:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H XXX.XX.XX -t 60 -c check_updates
Attachments
nsclient.ini
(29.35 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
fodmidoid

Post by fodmidoid »

Thanks for the quick reply. I replaced the nsclient.ini file with the one you gave me, but was unable to set the execution policy to Bypass. I think this particular server is running PowerShell version 1, which might explain that, but I can't be sure. I've attached a screenshot of the results and, in its place, thought I'd try running the command, "Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted" and restarted the NSClient++ (x64) service. Then, I ran the command you gave me on the Nagios server, which returned the following results:

[root@nagioscore objects]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx -t 60 -c check_updates
CHECK_NRPE: Invalid packet type received from server.

Thanks again.
Attachments
Set-ExecutionPolicyBypassResults.png
Set-ExecutionPolicyBypassResults.png (11.12 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@fodmidoid, Can you check if you're able to manually execute the check_windows_updates.ps1 script from the PowerShell terminal? Also, please upload the nsclient.log file.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
fodmidoid

Post by fodmidoid »

Here are the result of running it locally in PowerShell, as well as the nsclient.log file. Thanks.
Attachments
nsclient.log
(210.86 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
CheckWindowsUpdatesLocalResults.png
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@fodmidoid, Looks like Power Shell 1 is not compatible with this particular plugin you chose. Here's the output from my server:
Untitled.png
I suggest looking for non powershell plugin on the exchange portal.
https://exchange.nagios.org/index.php?o ... %20updates

If you find .bat or .vbs plugin here's the instruction on how to run it with NSClient:
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=528
fodmidoid

Post by fodmidoid »

npolovenko wrote:@fodmidoid, Looks like Power Shell 1 is not compatible with this particular plugin you chose. Here's the output from my server:
Untitled.png
I suggest looking for non powershell plugin on the exchange portal.
https://exchange.nagios.org/index.php?o ... %20updates

If you find .bat or .vbs plugin here's the instruction on how to run it with NSClient:
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=528
Thanks. I guess I'll have to look through the list and pick something else. Or, alternatively, just wait until we upgrade this server to Server 2016 in a few weeks, which will have the latest version of PowerShell installed.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@fodmidoid, Sounds like a good plan.
fodmidoid

Post by fodmidoid »

I found a PowerShell script someone had posted on the web (link below), which checks all servers from a text file and produces a report that shows the last date and time each server was patched, and how many days have passed since the last patch. The report is then emailed in html format and color-coded, based on severity.

I'm wondering if there's a way to incorporate this into Nagios? I would much rather be notified a warning (yellow) if servers haven't been patched in over 30 days, and a critical alert (red) if they haven't been patched in over 90 days.

The script and screenshot are attached and here is the link to the original share:
https://community.spiceworks.com/script ... tch-report

Again, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Attachments
Server Patch Report.txt
(10.46 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
ServerPatchReport.png
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@fodmidoid, This script just sends an email with the report, right? You might be better off just scheduling this script to automatically run with the windows task scheduler.
Nagios works best with scripts that provide output in the command line. Preferably when the output is not too large so it can fit in the service status table on the home page.
You can definitely modify this script to return output that would be compatible with Nagios, if you'd like and if you have time. This article explains some of the details on how to develop plugins with Nagios.
http://nagios-plugins.org/doc/guideline ... PLUGOUTPUT
I'd also recommend opening a source code of a few plugins on the exchange just to see how they were build. (exit codes in particular).
Or you can just wait for the server update and run that original PowerShell script :)