Mail Notification

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
orani

Mail Notification

Post by orani »

Hello,

i have mail notification enabled at my nagios server. The last few hours i am receiving too many mails for problems from past days (i.e. 4 or 18 of May)

Can i check if the are queued mails somewhere?

Is there any other suggestions?
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Mail Notification

Post by dwhitfield »

What MTA are you using? If you are using postfix or sendmail, if you do a web search for 'mail queue' without the quotes then you will see results.

I have not kept up with the newest features, so someone from support can correct me, but I do not believe Nagios itself does any actual queuing.
orani

Post by orani »

I am using mail agent but i dont see any queues at linux.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

I see you posted on the 24th (my time). Are you still getting too many emails?
orani

Post by orani »

No... now i receive mails as normal but when i first posted and also some days before that there was two bursts of 5K-6K mails in a few minutes.
jomann
Development Lead

Post by jomann »

Hello orani,

You may want to check out the notification_interval for hosts/services in the object defitions (https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ml#service) and verify that you are not having it re-send emails rapidly.

As for the queue issue, as @dwhitfield mentioned, it depends on if you're using postfix or sendmail. He is correct that we do not do any mail queuing we just send it off with the mail function to get mailed.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
orani

Post by orani »

I have notification interval set to 0. The problem was that the warning and critical threshold of some service checks was set at the point of real working threshold, so it was changing form ok to warning too often.

So now it is ok.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

orani wrote:So now it is ok.
Great!

Glad to hear it is resolved.

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com