Backup and restore

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
manimurugesan

Backup and restore

Post by manimurugesan »

Hello Team,

In nagiosxi backup and restore we have below document

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

but i need to automate the backup and restore process.

I mean backup need to happen automatically and restore as well on mentioned server.

i know we have option ssh,local backup but i don't want to schedule. i need to run any of the script that need to do the all the backup and restore on server .

could you please help me to achieve this
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Backup and restore

Post by lmiltchev »

I must be missing the point here... Why are you trying to restore XI "automatically"? You would be losing all of the changes made between the time you ran the backup and the restore script...

Also, you said:
i know we have option ssh,local backup but i don't want to schedule
No matter if you are doing a backup or restore, if you need it to be "automatic", you would still need to schedule it (have some schedule), e.g. run the script on a cron, etc. Can you elaborate on what exactly you are trying to accomplish?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
manimurugesan

Post by manimurugesan »

I need script like that need to take backup and automatically need to restore it on my remote server .

is this possible in nagios ?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Since you will be creating backup on one server (old), and restoring XI on another, remote server (new), basically you will be doing a migration. I still don't understand why this (migration) has to be done "automatically"... Anyway, you could probably use ansible for something like this - create an ansible playbook that would:

1. run the backup on the "old" server
2. copy over the backup that was created in step 1 to the "new", remote server
3. run the restore script on the "new" server, restoring from the backup you just transferred

Note: Creating such a playbook is out of scope of nagios support, so you would be on your own with this one. It can be done, even though I don't see a point of doing it.
manimurugesan

Post by manimurugesan »

Thanks for your support .
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

You are welcome! Let us know if you have any further questions.
manimurugesan

Post by manimurugesan »

I have few questions

recently i have configured nagios core on my Ubuntu os ,this upuntu instance i have created in my AWS.
i have configured all the devices on my nagios core,

Now i want to configure email notifications on my nagios core i need to receive email to my gmail .

Could you please give me the any document or procedure ,so that i can configure this
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Setting up a mail server on your OS is out of scope of nagios support, however there are many guides/tutorials online for configuring sendmail or postfix. I don't know what version of Ubuntu you are running, but here's a guide on installing and configuring postfix on Ubuntu 16.04:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04

Once you have a mail server configured on your machine, you can add contacts, notification commands, etc. Read more about notifications in Nagios here:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tions.html