Problems installing new NagiosXI version

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
mustafa1

Problems installing new NagiosXI version

Post by mustafa1 »

Hi

we are installing the latest version of nagiosXI and we are having a problem accessing the main page
this is the error that we get
DB Connect Error [nagiosxi]: Database connection failed

user/DB nagiosxi are working correct on psql , please see below
[root@nagiosxi ~]# psql nagiosxi nagiosxi
Welcome to psql 8.1.21 (server 8.4.4), the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

WARNING: You are connected to a server with major version 8.4,
but your psql client is major version 8.1. Some backslash commands,
such as \d, might not work properly.

nagiosxi=>

but using the web it is not working , we have tried the user/pass in config.inc.php , and verified that they are working , without any luck

Please help
mguthrie

Re: Problems installing new NagiosXI version

Post by mguthrie »

You might try restarting both postgresql and mysql to make sure they're both up and running ok. We had a customer have a similar issue recently upon a manual install, but I'm not sure what it was exactly since he got it figured out on his own.

Are you performing an upgrade or a manual install?

Are you running off our pre-built VM, if not, which distro are you running?
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

We see this a lot on 64bit installations. The issue is missing dependency. Every one has switched to a 32bit install, but if you figure out what needs to be done, would you let us know. We don't administrate the OS, we just provide a list of items the OS should provide. This list is in the the 2-* file.

Do you have a 32bit install and are getting this error? It could be that part of your install failed, review the logs and see if you can get your daemons to start. There might have been some long SQL insert error(s), this is not a problem or bug.
mustafa1

Post by mustafa1 »

Hi

it is 64-bit system , Manual Install , version 1.2D basically latest version downloaded from site.

we did go through the dependency problem especially with libpq.so.4 , the RPMs are asking for the 32 bit version of postgresql-libs, and we fixed that .

the files inside the nagiosxi www root are protected , so we are unable to debug it at all.

Can you suggest a script that should ask for the DB connection just like nagiosxi/login.php ask , in order to know where it breaks?

Thanks
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

The issue we are aware of is that Postgress does not start and then thus does not get a database imported. If you have Postgress started make sure it's working and that it has our database imported.

Can you describe how you "fixed that" so others can follow your trail.
toddac

Post by toddac »

I started with a 64bit install of CentOS thinking I'd be able to better utilize the 8GB of RAM in my server for NAGIOS. After getting some help and tips from support - I rebuilt the box with 32bit CentOS 5.5 and it's running great. I had one problem after another with the install scripts. Nicely done and well packaged - just wasn't worth the headache IMO of always fighting the install - so switched the platform and been running fine since.

$0.02