Double Email Notifications

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
mirandco

Double Email Notifications

Post by mirandco »

Hello,

I am setting up a distributed monitoring solution with two Nagios slave servers and one master Nagios server which is where all the data is sent. I have disabled all notifications on both the slave servers and am trying to only send notifications from the master. The goal is to get a notification when an incident occurs and then one every 60 mins until it's resolved. Unfortunately, I get 1 email notification then another one a minute later and sometimes a third one a minute after that. After this the notifications for this issue are suppressed for 60 mins until it repeats the process and sends out three notifications an hour later. I've changed the notification frequency for all services and hosts to 60 mins as well. What is also odd is the tokens for the respond URL is different for each email as if they are unrelated incidents. Has anyone seen this before and could they please provide some assistance?

Thanks,
Some guy
mbellerue

Re: Double Email Notifications

Post by mbellerue »

Just a quick clarification. You get 3 emails, but all 3 of those emails are from the single Nagios master server. Or is it that you're getting 3 emails, one from each of your Nagios installations?

Assuming they're all coming from the Nagios master server, I would say verify that none of the hosts and/or services are getting doubled up in hostgroups and/or servicegroups. Sometimes notifications and contacts can be doubled up, too. If you want, you can zip up your configs and PM them to me. you can go to Admin -> System Profile, download the profile and PM it to me. I can take a look at them and see if I can track it down. Also I would need to know of a host or service that has definitely notified 3 times like this.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
mirandco

Post by mirandco »

Yes, all three notifcations are coming from the main Nagios server. I removed all hosts from all host groups and all services from all services groups and continue to have the same problem. On the master server, because it is not itself running any checks, should I have the settings put at passive or active? And then if I have passive checks enabled and active checks disabled, should I have active checks enabled on the slave machines? Confused as to which config relates to which check/notification.

Thanks for the help!!

I believe I've narrowed the issue down to the xi_service_notification_handler because the notify-service-by-email sends one notification at a time. Has this happened before?
Last edited by mirandco on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

I think a system profile of your master Nagios server would really help here. If you can go to Admin -> System Profile, download the profile, and just PM it over to me, I'll take a look at it on this side and see if I can find out how multiple emails are getting sent.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!