Control the Frequency of Alerts for all Devices/Services

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
mamir

Control the Frequency of Alerts for all Devices/Services

Post by mamir »

Hello Support,

I have added some Windows 2012 R2 servers/ESXihosts/VCenter & services to my Nagios Xi. how to I setup the frequency of alerts on all of these, because I want to make-sure if anything is down, my mailbox doesn't get overfilled with emails alerts this could cause our email filter to think as spam. Therefore, need to limit the alerts we received to our emails if any of the devices are down.
mbellerue

Re: Control the Frequency of Alerts for all Devices/Services

Post by mbellerue »

Configure -> Core Config Manager -> Tools -> Bulk Modification Tool
This might be helpful to actually make the changes.

Another thing that might be of interest to you is host and service dependencies. Here you can configure hosts or services to be dependent upon other hosts or services. This way if your ESXi machine goes down, Nagios knows that you know that none of those Windows Server 2012 VMs are going to be accessible either.
Configure -> Core Config manager -> Advanced -> Host/Service Dependencies
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ncies.html
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
mamir

Post by mamir »

Configure -> Core Config Manager -> Tools -> Bulk Modification Tool
This might be helpful to actually make the changes, There are multiple options here which specific, I select in order to change the frequency of the alerts?
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

Select the Change A Single Configuration Option button, then in the drop down menu select Notification Interval. In the Value box, place the number of minutes between each notification that you would like. Then select as many hosts, services, host groups, and service groups as you would like. When you're done click Save Changes.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

mamir

Post by mamir »

Ok, yea i see the option. However it says, don't have enterprise license only have the standard license. so I guess, there is no way work around to choose this option bulk option? if Not, so I did the change manually by going under details - HostStatus or Service Status then selecting each Host or Services - configure - re-configure this host-notifications & entered 600 value "If problem perist - send a notification every 600 minutes until the problem is resolved". I'm thinking the first alert when a problem is detected will be sent right away & then the second alert will come after 600 minutes if the problem remains correct? Thats what I want so there is a 600 minutes delay to avoid too many emails coming through to our email server. Please, confirm, so I choose this settings for all my Hosts/Services, is this also correct method, it was a long effort though :)
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

That will take care of it for you.