Switch port unplugged

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jwaibel

Switch port unplugged

Post by jwaibel »

After configuring a cisco switch and importing all the ports using snmp, a computer attached to the switch was unplugged. nagios is now complaining that the interface being 'down', when it's really just fine.

As this is a fairly normal activity, how do i set the switches to update the status, both when a device is unplugged, and when a new one is plugged in?

thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Switch port unplugged

Post by admin »

If you configured Port Status monitoring for the port in question, Nagios will generate an alert if the link goes down. This is slightly different that the port being in a down (admin) state. If you don't wish to receive alerts for downed ports, you can change the notification options on the Port Status service(s) in question.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
jwaibel

Re: Switch port unplugged

Post by jwaibel »

i was thinking that i could 'reset' the port and only be notified next time an event happened, but this makes sense too.

thanks!