Template for Monitoring Windows Service

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Alan

Template for Monitoring Windows Service

Post by Alan »

Hello I am trying to find a template or config guide for how to monitor a windows service. Specifically the print spooler of server 2012 print server.I am using the ncpa-2.2.0. I am trying to add it to the ncpa.cfg file. I found this check but it does not work:

Code: Select all

./check_ncpa.py -H <HOSTNAME> -t '<your token>' -M 'services' -q 'service=spoolsv.exe'
I have also tried:

./check_ncpa.py -H <HOSTNAME> -t '<your token>' -M 'services' -q 'service=C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe'
I obviously changed the required info like token and hostname to the correct thing.

I have tried to change the service= to these things:
'service=spoolsv.exe'
'service=spooler'

This is whats returned when I run the ./check_ncpa.py command:
UNKNOWN: Error occurred while running the plugin. Use the verbose flag for more details.

So then I run it with -vvv and this is the full out put of the command and what I get back:

[alan@Monitor libexec]$ ./check_ncpa.py -H printserver -t token -M 'services' -q 'service=C:spoolsv.exe' -vvv
Connecting to: https://printserver:5693/api/services/?token=token&check=1&service=C%3Aspoolsv.exe
An error occurred:<urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
benjaminsmith

Re: Template for Monitoring Windows Service

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello Alan,

What is the exact service name of the spooler on this system? Try running the following command and post the output.

./check_ncpa.py -H 10.25.14.91 -t Str0ngT0k3n -M services -q service=Spooler,status=running
spooler.png
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks for the reply. So when I use what you suggested this does come back with - OK: Spooler is running. How would I be able to add this to the ncpa.cfg file for this print server? Right now for this server I am monitoring the CPU Load, the C:\ Drive space, and Memory Usage. I tried to add this to the file.

define service {
    host_name               Svr-Print01
    service_description     Print Spooler
    check_command           check_ncpa.py -H 172.16.10.31 -t CMPublic -M services -q service=Spooler,status=running
    max_check_attempts      45
    check_interval          5
    retry_interval          1
    check_period            24x7
    notification_interval   60
    notification_period     24x7
    contacts                nagiosadmin
    register                1
}
Then when i run the pre-flight check I get this error:

Error: Service check command 'check_ncpa.py -H 172.16.10.31 -t Str0ngT0k3n -M services -q service=Spooler,status=running' specified in service 'Print Spooler' for host 'Svr-Print01' not defined anywhere!
Do I need to add something in teh commands.cfg?
Alan

Post by Alan »

So I change the check_command check_ncpa.py to check_command check_ncpa!-t and it is not working.

One thing I am trying to find out is if that service stops can I have Nagios kick off a script that would essentially delete all the contents of the PRINTER folder and restart the spooler?
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello Alan,

Can you post the check command definition for check_ncpa? On my system, I have something like this and it's working.

Service Definition

service_description	Spooler
	check_period	timeperiod_24x7
	check_command	check_ncpa!-t password -M services -q service=Spooler,status=running!
Command Definition

define command {
	command_name	check_ncpa
	command_line	$USER1$/check_ncpa.py -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
	}
One thing I am trying to find out is if that service stops can I have Nagios kick off a script that would essentially delete all the contents of the PRINTER folder and restart the spooler?
Yes. You can setup Naigos to fire an event handler (script) whenever a state change occurs.

See: Event Handlers
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi Benjamin

This is in the ncpa.cfg file

define service {
    host_name               Svr-Print01
    service_description     Print Spooler
    check_command           check_ncpa!-t -H Svr-Print01 -t token -M services -q service=Spooler,status=running
    max_check_attempts      5
    check_interval          5
    retry_interval          1
    check_period            24x7
    notification_interval   60
    notification_period     24x7
    contact_groups               admins
    register                1
}
So this is in the commands.cfg file

define command {
    command_name    check_ncpa
    command_line    $USER1$/check_ncpa.py -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
}
I hope this is the info you are wanting? Thanks for the Event Handlers I will read through it and see if I can get it to work. I have a side question if we ever move to Nagios I will all these setting that I am configuring move over as well or would I need to reconfigure everything?
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

Let's change your check_command in ncpa.cfg once more.

check_command           check_ncpa!-t token -M services -q service=Spooler,status=running
Try that out and see if it works.

Also, if you move to Nagios XI, there is a tool to import Core configuration files.

Alan

Post by Alan »

I totally apologize. I noticed on the previous reply I said

" So I change the check_command check_ncpa.py to check_command check_ncpa!-t and it is not working. "

Ya I meant to say it is working. Sorry about that. It is monitoring the spooler now and it does send me a email if the spooler stops.
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

Oh, perfect! Does that solve the issue entirely, or are there still things that need to be fixed? I can just close this thread if all is well now.

Alan

Post by Alan »

I think that is it. I will look at the Event Handlers page and see if I can get it to work. If for some reason I cannot I will most likely open a new thread. Thanks for all your help with this. Have a great day.