Delay in updation of Nagios Front end screen

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jatindeepsharma

Re: Delay in updation of Nagios Front end screen

Post by jatindeepsharma »

Hello Benjaminsmith,
Can you please let me know do i need one more new license of Nagios XI server ( cause you have suggested we have 1,49,424 passive checks on my machine) or can I upgrade my hardware(CPU, MEMORY & HDD) & run 1700 hosts on one machine?
Cause still there is delay of 20 minutes at front end.message queue is decreasing slowly.

Regards
Jatindeep
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi Jatindeepsharma,

I would reach out to one of our sales engineers ( email sales@nagios.com ) to help you with these questions as it is more related to costs. You have to consider that the cost of expensive physical hardware vs purchasing another license and using less expensive hardware or a VM.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jatindeepsharma

Hello Benjaminsmith,
My VM is fully upgraded with 8 CPU cores & 32 GB of RAM , Can you please suggest still i need to buy new License of Nagios XI? Cause i am getting delay of about 20 minutes?
I want to resolve this issue ASAP cause it is badly affecting my routine productivity.

Regards
JD
jatindeepsharma

I am good with buying a license which could handle my 3500 hosts & provides me real time SNMP alerts. Please help.

Regards
JD
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi JD,

The last profile you sent me had 16GB of memory. Can you send over the latest profile since increasing the number of CPU Cores and RAM?

We don't see XI systems running 149K service checks, but having everything setup passively makes this possible. We recommend getting another license after 20k checks.

Once more item, if you have not optimized the PHP settings please follow the article below:

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... e-611.html

This will help with any timeouts and allow PHP more access to system memory.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

jatindeepsharma

Hi @Benjaminsmith,
Still RAM is 16 GB but i have deactivated some services & now services are 100K & CPU is having 8 cores. I have sent you system profile in inbox.
Please check & help.
Regards
Jatindeep
jatindeepsharma

Hi @Benjaminsmith,

I have checked /var/log/messages & found there is also error. I have retuned kernel settings in NAGIOS & right now i am not receiving this error.
Dec 11 14:34:56 NagiosXI ndo2db: Message sent to queue.
Dec 11 14:34:56 NagiosXI ndo2db: Warning: queue send error, retrying...
Dec 11 14:34:57 NagiosXI ndo2db: Message sent to queue.
Dec 11 14:34:57 NagiosXI ndo2db: Warning: queue send error, retrying...
Dec 11 14:34:58 NagiosXI ndo2db: Message sent to queue.
Dec 11 14:34:58 NagiosXI ndo2db: Warning: queue send error, retrying...
Dec 11 14:34:59 NagiosXI ndo2db: Message sent to queue.
Dec 11 14:34:59 NagiosXI ndo2db: Warning: queue send error, retrying...
Dec 11 14:35:00 NagiosXI ndo2db: Message sent to queue.
Dec 11 14:35:00 NagiosXI ndo2db: Warning: queue send error, retrying...
Dec 11 14:35:01 NagiosXI ndo2db: Message sent to queue.
Dec 11 14:35:01 NagiosXI ndo2db: Warning: queue send error, retrying...
Dec 11 14:35:02 NagiosXI ndo2db: Message sent to queue.
Dec 11 14:35:02 NagiosXI ndo2db: Warning: queue send error, retrying...
Dec 11 14:35:03 NagiosXI ndo2db: Message sent to queue.
Dec 11 14:35:03 NagiosXI ndo2db: Warning: queue send error, retrying...
Dec 11 14:35:04 NagiosXI ndo2db: Message sent to queue.
Dec 11 14:35:04 NagiosXI ndo2db: Warning: queue send error, retrying...
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi JD,

Did you increase the PHP settings?

For some reason, the system profile only had 4 files and didn't complete. However, the top command is looking much better.
top-command.png
The bottom line here is to increase the resources on this server and adjust the settings to maximize the performance. If you need to add more hosts and services, you're going to need another server. If you do get an additional server, you might as well move some of the checks over to distribute the load among the 2 instances and avoid any lags in the GUI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jatindeepsharma

Hi @Benjaminsmith
I have some queries, Can you please help me with that?
1. Is it possible if i will increase number of CPU cores(16),Memory(32GB) & HDD (2 TB) on same VM machine & run new extended NAGIOS XI licence which can hold up to maximum number of hosts. (i.e. upto 3000 hosts) rather than get it on another VM.
Reason to add resources on same server is that i don't want Nagios on 2 machines.

2. By decreasing number of services( which were 149K at first), will it also increase productivity of my server?

Regards
JD
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi JD,

1. As mentioned, I would reach out to one of the sales engineers at Nagios as they can provide more information about server sizing. We also have Nagios Fusion that can provide a centralized view for multiple XI servers, if you would like to add more servers and also have a centralized view of the status.

https://www.nagios.com/products/nagios-fusion/

2. Yes, decrease the total check load ( hosts + services). If you are running active checks as well, implementing Mod-Gearman will help offload the processing. However, this will not be much of a benefit for passive checks.

References:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios_XI.pdf
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/gen ... utions.pdf
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf