Citrix

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Mark de Bokx

Citrix

Post by Mark de Bokx »

Bit of an open question here. But I'm dying to know / hear about it because I am testdriving NagiosXI (for a rather large deployment)

Does anyone have any experience monitoring (Citrix) Xenserver, Xenapp, Xendesktop with NagiosXI? If yes, how did you go about it? Do you have any good pointers for me?
mmestnik

Re: Citrix

Post by mmestnik »

The best way to hook up with the Nagios Cirtix community(or any other community for a plugin) would be the exchange site.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

It seams that's all there is, looking at exchange.nagios.com. Try contacting the author for assistance with a particular service, we certainly can't keep them all straight though we will try.

roberto@resecco.com
Mark de Bokx

Post by Mark de Bokx »

Thanks. I opresume i'm not the only one in the world wanting to monitor Citrix ;) So I will browse the community and see what I can find (unfortunately we don't have the time nor expertise to write a plugin ourselves and donate it to the world)
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

It's been a while since I worked on Citrix (NT4 days) however if it is still based on a Windows OS then Citrix may create performance counter objects for their products.

If this is the case it's relatively easy to monitor these counters.

See this post for an example:

http://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtop ... =419#p1750
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Mark de Bokx

Post by Mark de Bokx »

Unfortunately Im not authorised to read that forum (thats what my Browser is telling me)
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Sorry about that, here's the info.

From what I understand, you can use almost any perfmon counter that exists on your Windows box.
Use perfmon to identify the counter you wish to monitor.

Then you can monitor it with NSClient++.

For example :
from a Windows 2008 box with SQL 2008 Enterprise

Click the + icon
Find the Counter and Add it
SQL1.png
Then right click the counter down the bottom and select Properties.
SQL2.png
Now you will be shown the properties of the counter.
SQL3.png
The counter you can see is in almost the same format that the NSClient++ command requires. The correct formatting is:

\\SQLServer:General Statistics\\User Connections

All I have done is added an extra backslash at the begining and in the middle.

To monitor this counter, just run the Windows Server Monitoring Wizard. Under the Performance Counters section add the following:
(Tick the first box and clear the existing values)
Performance Counter: \\SQLServer:General Statistics\\User Connections
Display Name: SQL User Connections
Counter Output Format: Number of user connections is %.f
No need for warning and critical values at this point.
Finish the Wizard and click Apply.

This service should now appear under your host and produce a pretty graph.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.