nagios stalls unless I use strace

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jssingh

nagios stalls unless I use strace

Post by jssingh »

I am setting up nagios on a new server (RHEL 7) and it was working fine for a couple weeks and then all of a sudden it just stalled. Nagios itself still runs, but nothing is happening. status.dat doesn't update, there is nothing in nagios.log or nagios.debug. The data in spool/checkresults just piles up. We saw a few zombie processes, so we restarted nagios, but then it would run some tests for less than a minute and then just stall.

We can't think of anything that changed on the system to have caused the behavior to change.

Today I tried running nagios with strace to see if we could see what was causing it to stall. But when I run it with strace, nagios works flawlessly. Our theory is that it slows nagios down enough to get around whatever the issue is. But we're not sure what to do from here.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before?
Box293
Too Basu

Re: nagios stalls unless I use strace

Post by Box293 »

Run this command to see if the nagios user is expired:

Code: Select all

chage -l nagios
If it is, run this command to enable the expired nagios user:

chage -I -1 -m 0 -M 99999 -E -1 nagios
If that isn't the problem then try setting the debug level on and then restart Nagios.

sed -i 's/.*debug_level=.*/debug_level=-1/g' /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
service nagios restart
Do you see anything logged in the file /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.debug

When you are finished this turns debugging off:

sed -i 's/.*debug_level=.*/debug_level=0/g' /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
service nagios restart
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
jssingh

Post by jssingh »

It turns out that it was set up to write the perflogs to a different filesystem and once I changed them to be on the same filesystem, everything started working. So we'll need to look into what's going on with those filesystems, but that's not a Nagios problem. Thanks!
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Awesome, great to hear.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.