Cannot get SNMP data from Dell Switch.

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
ITTeam

Cannot get SNMP data from Dell Switch.

Post by ITTeam »

Ok, so here is one for you....

I have 3 single Dell 6248 Switches all in nagios setup and working fine, getting port up down status and bandwith... WOOHOO.... :D

Now I have my main Production switch's 3 Dell 6248's in a stacked configuration.... I cannot get Nagios to pull any SNMP data from the switch..... :cry:

All the switches run the same firmware, and the communities are setup identical.... Here is where I have come down to a Nagios issue. From command line I can do a snmpget and the switch responds:

[root@nagiosxi ~]# snmpget -v2c -c public 10.22.13.5 sysUpTime.0
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (49178400) 5 days, 16:36:24.00

and a snmpwalk and I get : ( took out all the info on the ports, so the post was not huge)

[root@nagiosxi ~]# snmpwalk -v2c -c public 10.22.13.5 system
SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Powerconnect 6248, 3.2.0.7, VxWorks 6.5
SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.674.10895.3011
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (49214100) 5 days, 16:42:21.00
SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0 = STRING:
SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING:
SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0 = STRING:
SNMPv2-MIB::sysServices.0 = INTEGER: 6
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORLastChange.0 = Timeticks: (600) 0:00:06.00
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORID.1 = OID: SNMPv2-MIB::snmpMIB
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORID.2 = OID: RMON-MIB::rmonMibModule
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.1 = STRING: The MIB module for SNMPv2 entities
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.2 = STRING: Remote Network Monitoring Management Information Base
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.3 = STRING: Broadcom Reference
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.4 = STRING: This MIB module defines objects to help support coexistence between SNMPv1, SNMPv2, and SNMPv3.
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.5 = STRING: The SNMP Management Architecture MIB
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.6 = STRING: The MIB for Message Processing and Dispatching
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.7 = STRING: The Notification MIB Module
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.8 = STRING: The Target MIB Module
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.9 = STRING: The management information definitions for the SNMP User-based Security Model.
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORDescr.10 = STRING: The management information definitions for the View-based Access Co
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When running the setup wizard, the other 3 single switches, after I would hit next would come back and show me all the ports that were connected then I could finish the wizard....

This switch once I put in the IP and set the community name I get the message "No ports were detected on the switch" , even though I proved the nagios server could get SNMP data from the switch. It seems to be something with the switches being in a stacked configuration...

Thanks for any info on this...

Mike
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot get SNMP data from Dell Switch.

Post by admin »

The wizard uses MRTG's cfgmaker utility to pull port information from switches. Perhaps cfgmaker it having difficulty with something or its output format is different for this switch compared to others.

What do you get as output if you run the following:

Code: Select all

cfgmaker [community@]router
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
ITTeam

Post by ITTeam »

I get SNMP info from cfgmaker, it lists info about the switch and the ports....( here is the info I get for interface #1, with sensitive data removed)

But when i run it with the switch wizard, it tells me no "No ports were detected on the switch"

[root@pv-nagios ~]# cfgmaker public@10.22.xx.x | more
# Created by
# /usr/bin/cfgmaker public@10.22.xx.x

### Global Config Options

# for UNIX
# WorkDir: /home/http/mrtg

# or for NT
# WorkDir: c:\mrtgdata

### Global Defaults

# to get bits instead of bytes and graphs growing to the right
# Options[_]: growright, bits

EnableIPv6: no

######################################################################
# System:
# Description: Powerconnect 6248, 3.2.0.7, VxWorks 6.5
# Contact:
# Location:
######################################################################

### Interface 1 >> Descr: 'Unit:-1-Slot:-0-Port:-1-Gigabit---Level' | Name: '1/0/1' | Ip: '' | Eth: '
' ###

Target[10.22.13.5_1]: 1:public@10.22.xx.x:
SetEnv[10.22.13.5_1]: MRTG_INT_IP="" MRTG_INT_DESCR="Unit:-1-Slot:-0-Port:-1-Gigabit---Level"
MaxBytes[10.22.13.5_1]: 12500000
Title[10.22.13.5_1]: Traffic Analysis for 1 -- SWPROD
PageTop[10.22.13.5_1]: <h1>Traffic Analysis for 1 -- SWPROD</h1>
<div id="sysdetails">
<table>
<tr>
<td>System:</td>
<td>SWPROD in </td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Maintainer:</td>
<td>Spongbob</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Description:</td>
<td>Unit:-1-Slot:-0-Port:-1-Gigabit---Level chk1_ext_xxxxx
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>ifType:</td>
<td>ethernetCsmacd (6)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>ifName:</td>
<td>1/0/1</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Max Speed:</td>
<td>12.5 MBytes/s</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>
ITTeam

Post by ITTeam »

Any recommendation to this issue. I really need to get my stacked production switch in nagiosxi, like the other 5 switches...

Thanks
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

Is that your only output? There should be a section like that for each port.

Note that we can only do what we can with the SNMP tables/lists exported by the switch, if it only represents one port when in stacked mode then that's something you would need to talk to Dell about.
ITTeam

Post by ITTeam »

I have an opt put for all ports, I just did not want to put them in the post. I can pull snmp data from the switch in nagios from command line fine.
I just cant get nagiosxi to see the ports.

Any ideas,?? I don't think its the switch since I can get data out of the switch. But I my be wrong. Dell says if I run snmpget and snmpwalk and get data from the switch , then the switch is communicating fine...

Thanks
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

That's great, though I wouldn't say Dell is correct about connectivity == access. SNMP has per oid access restrictions, so for example you can give read access to SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 and SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0 but no access to SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0. In that case an snmpwalk wouldn't indicate the access level, it would silently skip that OID.

MRTG_INT_DESCR="Unit:-1-Slot:-0-Port:-1-Gigabit---Level"

This is short for "Interface Description", can we get some more examples of these... and also what these are set to on the switch. What you may want to do is set the description for each link and then when you move the link you switch the descriptions and all is well... Provided you don't switch devices.