Python upgrade from 2.7.5 to 3

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
PeterDK

Python upgrade from 2.7.5 to 3

Post by PeterDK »

Hi,

I'm wondering if we can upgrade python on our NagiosXI Server or does Nagios XI itself has python requirements?
I know we will need to check some of the plugins and scripts.
Anyone who did this upgrade already?

While testing a new plugin, I needed to install an extra library and I got this deprecation warning:
DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 reached the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 is no longer maintained. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7. More details about Python 2 support in pip, can be found at https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/developme ... -2-support

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Peter
benjaminsmith

Re: Python upgrade from 2.7.5 to 3

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi Peter,

That's a good question and I wish I had a simpler answer.We support the version of python installed by the operating system, currently, that is python 2.x. Doing a little research on this issue, upgrading the default version may break operating system components, so typically the solution is to install both.

However, the main issue with migrating from python 2 to 3 is not the XI application but the plugins used by Nagios as most are not compatible with Python 3. At some point in the future, we will eventually migrate over to Python 3, but I don't have any ETA that right now and we'll likely have to keep compatibility with legacy plugins.

Let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Reference

How is Python 2 supported in RHEL after 2020?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

Hello,

As "Python 2.7 reached the end of its life on January 1st, 2020" we will need to upgrade Python. Can you please confirm if all Nagios Core and XI components will keep working and if our installation with Python 3.x will be supported by Nagios when we proceed with the upgrade?

Tx

Willem
Nagios XI 5.8.1
https://outsideit.net
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi Willem,

We are planning to support python 3 on RHEL/CENT 8 and at that time XI and all its components will work with python 3. We always support the default packages provided by the base installation, so we would recommend keeping the older system with python 2 and upgrading to the next version for python 3 support.

I don't have an exact ETA right now on RHEL/CENT 8 support, but we are working on it.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!