750K files stuck in %Nagios Path%/var/spool directory.

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ne1scott

750K files stuck in %Nagios Path%/var/spool directory.

Post by ne1scott »

Hello all,

I inherited a system running nagios from a predecessor and am not familiar with administering nagios. I haven't been receiving nagios alerts since email was changed over but I was before so I'm sure I need to fix that as well.

Where would I set up the email SMTP configuration and sendto: email addresses ? I'm not much of a RTFM/RTFB guy when I only need to know something specific so I am asking the forum.

I had 750K+ files in the /var/spool folder which ran the filesystem out of inodes so after deleting all of those files and rebooting I want to fix it before it gets too out of hand again. (only 13% of inodes in use now)

These are examples of what the 750K+ files were
/opt/pnp4nagios-0.6.26/var/spool/service-perfdata.1592040185
/opt/pnp4nagios-0.6.26/var/spool/host-perfdata.1591156417
/opt/pnp4nagios-0.6.26/var/spool/service-perfdata.1564440210
/opt/pnp4nagios-0.6.26/var/spool/host-perfdata.1589988757

Another 243 have been created since I rebooted 32 minutes ago after clearing them all.

So my questions are :
#1 how to I stop these files from building up ?
#2 How do I fix my mail server and sendto address ?
#3 What other config should I check since the number of servers it was monitoring have drastically reduced and everything was moved to a different datacenter ?

Alternatively if this continues being a problem what is the easiest way to just disable Nagios until I have a chance to learn it and reconfigure it ?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: 750K files stuck in %Nagios Path%/var/spool directory.

Post by scottwilkerson »

Do you have a npcd daemon running?

Code: Select all

systemctl npcd status
This is all part of pnp4nagios which is an addon that is not authored by the team at Nagios
See:
http://docs.pnp4nagios.org/start
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com