Using Nagios Core At Home...

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Goobertek

Post by Goobertek »

I have a home network. For fun and my own education I'd like to play with Nagios Core to monitor network. However, I am not sure what I can do? I don't want to load agents so I am restricted to snmp. I know I can "Ping" but can I check disk space on windows desktops? Can I monitor ink and such on a printer? Can I get details on the desktops and other devices like mac address?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
Goobertek

Post by Goobertek »

I am using Nagios Core to monitor my home network. Why? Because it's fun and I am just increasing my skills. However, I am not sure what I can do when it comes to monitoring Windows PCs. I don't want to load agents so I am confined to snmp. I know I can Ping the them but what else? Can I remotely check disk space? Anything else?
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Using Nagios Core At Home...

Post by cdienger »

As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Goobertek

Post by Goobertek »

Thanks for the help. I have tried to get check_disk to work but I can't figure out the syntax. Can you help with one? I can probably get the rest from the pattern. Here is the syntax. It doesn't work. Is this an SNMP check? I don't have the agent running on the PC and I'd rather not.

define host {
use linux-server ; Host group to use
host_name Kronos ; Name of this host
alias Kronos Windows Laptop ; Alias
address 192.168.1.209 ; IP Address
}

define service {
use local-service
host_name Kronos
service_description Disk Space
check_command check_disk -w 10% -c 5% -p /
}
Goobertek

Post by Goobertek »

I made some additional changes. Still no luck.

Command.cfg:

define command{
command_name check_disk
command_line $USER1$/check_desk -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
}

define service {
use local-service
host_name Kronos
service_description Disk Space
check_command check_disk!10%!5%!C:/
}
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi @Goobertek,

It looks like there's a typo in the check command, but that plugin will only work in Linux environments.

For running checks on Windows systems, by far the easier set up is going to use the NCPA Agent. It's super easy to set up and get checks running on the host.

NCPA -- Nagios Cross Platform Agent

Otherwise, you'll probably want to use WMI, such as check_wmi_plus.

By the way, just so you know, we offer a light (free!) version of Nagios XI for small environments like this. It's limited to 100 total host and service checks.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
Goobertek

Post by Goobertek »

Thanks for the support. I was going to check out Nagios XI. However, I have been looking to see if anyone has been success at doing it and documenting it on a Raspberry Pi. Would rather not venture into that challenge alone:-}

Thanks for the support!

Rob
Goobertek

Post by Goobertek »

I just tried to install XI on my pi and the installation said it wasn't compatable
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on that. Anyways, if you have other questions about Nagios Core then, just let me know.

Benjamin

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!