Plugin Build under Kali Linux

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
baqwas

Plugin Build under Kali Linux

Post by baqwas »

Hello,
I couldn't locate any previous thread on the following error at the ./configure step in a Kali Linux platform on Raspberry Pi:

Code: Select all

configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
After downloading the plugins from http://nagios-plugins.org/download/nagi ... 3.3.tar.gz, I tried the configure operation.

kali@rpi:~/projects/nagios-plugins-2.3.3$ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to disable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking build system type... build-aux/config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2009-11-20, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.guess;hb=HEAD
and
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.sub;hb=HEAD

If the version you run (build-aux/config.guess) is already up to date, please
send the following data and any information you think might be
pertinent to <config-patches@gnu.org> in order to provide the needed
information to handle your system.

config.guess timestamp = 2009-11-20

uname -m = aarch64
uname -r = 4.19.118-Re4son-v8+
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 6 12:44:21 UTC 2020

/usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
/bin/uname -X     = 

hostinfo               = 
/bin/universe          = 
/usr/bin/arch -k       = 
/bin/arch              = aarch64
/usr/bin/oslevel       = 
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = 

UNAME_MACHINE = aarch64
UNAME_RELEASE = 4.19.118-Re4son-v8+
UNAME_SYSTEM  = Linux
UNAME_VERSION = #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 6 12:44:21 UTC 2020
configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
How do I specify the build type?

Thanks.
benjaminsmith

Re: Plugin Build under Kali Linux

Post by benjaminsmith »

HI,
How do I specify the build type?
Hmmm, I would have to check in with a developer on that. What instructions did you follow? While we do not have official documentation on Kali Linux, try the steps for Debian on the following page and let me know if that works.

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... tml#Debian

Benjamin
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
baqwas

Post by baqwas »

Hello Benjamin,

Thanks for your quick reply. Having done 70+ builds (from source) of Nagios Plugins and NRPE (solely on assorted RPi hardware), I thought (mistakenly :oops: ) that I was on a roll. The fact that several attempts with Kali Linux (on RPi3) and Ubuntu 20.04 (amd64 & aarch64) failed and that the reported script date was so old that the gnu support folks suggested I contact someone more authoritative.

The Nagios Core documentation states clearly that the Linux apt install method should be avoided owing to the legacy NRPE service that gets installed. I adapted the Nagios documentation into a home-grown shell script that I've relied on extensively in my crash-burn farm and always stayed current with the latest stable versions.

To cut a long story short, I disobeyed this recommendation and voila both Kali Linux and Ubuntu 20.04 are now happy campers in my Nagios ecosystem. Of course, the default folders are slightly different as is the fully qualified name of the NRPE service but these have been documented internally for future reference (in case senility strikes again). The basic default (+ some Percona) plugins work fine under the new install (Kali Linux & Ubuntu 20.04).

TL;DR: the following worked:

$ sudo apt install -y nagios-nrpe-server monitoring-plugins
I do hope that this feedback will spur more knowledgeable folks to provide feedback on the changes (if necessary) to the configure script for future Nagios OSS releases. Thanks again for fielding my inquiry.

Kind regards.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

@baqwas thanks for the feedback! I am glad this is working for you! I just want to clarify that "monitoring-plugins" is not the same as "nagios plugins" (they are not maintained by us, Nagios).

I will be closing this topic now. If you have any further questions/issues, please start a new thread. Thank you!
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!